Division I Roundup, 5/1

Men’s Lacrosse Triumphs Over Drexel On Senior Night 

Minutemen send senior class off Garber Field with 14-8 win


Massachusetts 14, [-/RV] Drexel 8

Records: Massachusetts (6-7, 3-2 CAA) • Drexel (6-7, 3-2)

Location: Garber Field; Amherst, Mass.

Attendance: 754


  • Jesse Leung scored a career high five goals, the most by a Minuteman in one game this season and one more than his season total of four entering the day. Leung scored on five of his six shots and scooped up four groundballs.
  • Ben Spencer and Dom St. Laurent each tallied three points on two goals and an assist while Jeff Trainor posted three points, all on assists.
  • Seven additional Minutemen recorded one point apiece: Gianni Bianchin, Tyler Bogart, Grant Consoletti, Jake Lisauskas, Mike McDonough, Noah Rak and Devin Spencer. Bianchin, Bogart, Lisauskas, McDonough and Spencer all scored goals. Consoletti and Rak dished assists.
  • Devin Spencer’s tally marked the first of his career. It came on a deflected play were Trainor sent a ball toward the top of the crease, which deflected off of Spencer’s stick and landed in the back of the goal.
  • D.J. Smith totaled 15 saves in between the pipes, including 11 during the second half when UMass held Drexel scoreless into the final quarter. It was Smith’s ninth game of the season with 10 or more saves and one away from his single-game career high of 16 against Brown (3/25).
  • In addition to his goal scored, McDonough provided five groundballs and three caused turnovers from his spot at long-stick midfield.
  • Isaac Paparo set the UMass record for caused turnovers in a season as he finished the day with 27 following two created against Drexel. The NCAA officially began recognizing caused turnovers prior to the 2010 season.
  • Close defenseman Tyler Weeks also had two caused turnovers to go along with three groundballs.
  • Massachusetts honored its 10-man senior class prior to the game in Bianchin, Consoletti, Dylan Gruder, James Marusi, Dan Muller, Joe Romano, Charlie Schatz, Smith, Paul Spinney and Weeks.


Drexel led 3-1 heading toward the end of the opening quarter as Reid Bowering, Robert Frazee and Jacob O’Donnell each put one tally in for the Dragons to offset Jesse Leung’s first of five goals on the day.

Tyler Bogart cut the deficit in half with his team-leading 24th goal of the season at the two-minute, 25-second mark. Bogart fielded a pass from Jeff Trainor 10 yards from the cage, bounced off a defender and fired a sidearm shot into the back of the cage.


Dom St. Laurent first of two conversions evened the game at 3-all with 13:15 to play in the quarter. St. Laurent created the play himself as he raced toward the right post, found space and reared back for low shot that sailed by Drexel goalie Jimmy Joe Granito.

Leung added his second of the day sandwiched around Drexel conversions by King Marshal and Cole Shafer as the Dragons held a 5-4 advantage with 5:49 to go.

The Minuteman defense clamped down on the Drexel offense following Marshal’s goal and held the Dragons without another tally until the fourth quarter. The offense connected on the other end of the field with the final four tallies of the second quarter as the front half of an eight-goal run.

Mike McDonough scored unassisted and knotted the game at 5-5 only 10 seconds after Marshal’s goal. Leung secured the hat trick with a diving play at the crease with 3:04 to go before Ben Spencer dodged his way into a shot opportunity with 62 seconds left in the half. To create the opening, Spencer planted his right foot and spun off of a Drexel defender to work his hands free for his first goal of the day.

St. Laurent notched his second tally in the closing seconds of the eventual second quarter when Trainor found St. Laurent in space for an open look at the cage.


Devin Spencer – Ben Spencer’s younger brother – earned his first collegiate goal with 9:09 to play in the half as Massachusetts went in front, 9-5. Trainor sent a ball toward the center of the crease as Devin Spencer moved in front of the cage. The ball deflected off of Devin Spencer’s stick in front and landed in the back of the cage for the rookie attackman’s first goal.

Gianni Bianchin followed with a man-up goal with 4:30 to go before Leung scored on a pass by Noah Rak seven seconds later for an 11-5 lead heading to the fourth.


Jake Lisauskas made it eight-straight UMass tallies 54 seconds into the final stanza with his fourth goal of the year.

Drexel broke out of its offense slump with consecutive scores from Frazee, Chris Friedman and Jeremy Omrod. Friedman’s strike brought Drexel back within 12-8 at the 7:52 mark; however, the UMass defense regained its composure and held the Dragons without another goal the remainder of the way.

Ben Spencer produced his second of the game with 4:54 left before Leung netted his fifth of the day with 99 seconds to play.


Massachusetts will participate in the 2017 CAA Championship. The Minutemen will learn their seeding after the Hofstra-Towson game on Sat., April 29. The Maroon and White can pick up the No. 2 or No. 3 seeds.


Stags Cap 2017 with Senior Night Win over Delaware

Burke tallies six points, including the 100th of his career

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team capped off the 2017 campaign on Friday evening with an 11-7 Senior Night victory over visiting Delaware. Colin Burke racked up a season-best six points for the Stags – eclipsing the 100-point mark in the process – and Dylan Beckwith netted a hat trick that included the game-winner.

With the victory, the Stags end the campaign at 5-9. Fairfield won its last two CAA games, an upset of then-No. 15 Towson last Saturday followed by tonight’s triumph, to finish the league slate at 2-3.

“Two weeks ago, we knew that we didn’t have a chance to extend our season. And honestly, the fact that we finished the last two weeks 2-0 against two really high-quality opponents, that tells you a lot about the guys in our locker room right now,” said Head Coach Andy Copelan in his postgame comments to the Lax Sports Network.

Burke’s three goals and three assists this evening give him a team-high 41 points this spring and 104 career points at the close of his sophomore campaign. He is the fourth-fastest in program history to eclipse 100 career points, doing so in his 31st game as a Stag. Only Matt Callaghan ’98, J.T. Groarke ’99 and Spencer Steele ’00 – the only three Stags to ever notch 200 career points – reached the century mark faster than Burke.

Burke now ranks 15th in program history in points and 12th in goals with 72 career markers. His six points are the most by a Fairfield player since his own seven-point day in the 2016 CAA Championship Semifinal win over Hofstra.

Beckwith’s hat trick was the second of his freshman campaign as he wraps up the year with 16 goals and 12 assists to rank second behind Burke with 28 points.

In tonight’s game, the Stags also got two man-up goals and an assist from Drew Murray and single markers from Joe Rodrigues, Nico Panepinto and Dave Fleming. Jake Knostman added an assist in the final game of his career, and Charlie Horning also handed out one helper.

In the cage, Tyler Behring posted his third straight double-digit save outing to cap his season and collegiate career. The senior netminder made 14 stops on the day, including six in the fourth quarter to lead a Fairfield defensive effort that held its seventh opponent of the season below double figures.

Will Fox and Joe DeLasho were both solid on the draw as the Stags won the first nine faceoffs of the game en route to a 13-of-21 day. Fox went 7-of-10 with three ground balls while DeLasho was 6-of-11 with four ground balls. Ryan Antell and Spencer Noonan each scooped up three ground balls on the wings and as a part of the defense. The Stags kept Delaware off the board for all three of their extra-man opportunities.

Delaware finishes the year at 7-8 overall and 0-5 in the CAA in the final season for 39-year head coach Bob Shillinglaw. The Blue Hens were led by a Joe Eisele hat trick and four assists from Andrew Romagnoli. Matt Deluca made 11 saves for the visitors.

The Stags started the scoring on Burke’s first of the day, with Eisele answered in kind with the first marker of his eventual hat trick. At that point, Fairfield reeled off four straight tallies as Rodrigues, Murray, Fleming and Beckwith in a span of just over seven minutes to open up a 5-1 lead that carried through the end of the first period.

However, the Blue Hens battled back with a run of their own in the second quarter. Delaware netted four tallies in the stanza, keeping Fairfield off the board for the entire 15 minutes, to send the game into the intermission knotted at 5-5.

The Blue Hens took their first lead of the day just 11 seconds into the third quarter, taking a 6-5 advantage. Fairfield would then end its scoring drought after 22:54 of game time as Burke potted his second of the day to deadlock the game at 6-6. The final strike of the third frame came from Delaware as Charlie Kitchen put the visitors back on top, 7-6, with 4:49 left in the period, but the Blue Hens would not score again as the Stags surged in front in the final quarter of the season.

Panepinto – one of Fairfield’s eight seniors – came up with the game-tying goal as he tip-toed along the crease and laid out to rattle the cage with 11:52 to go. After a pair of Behring saves preserved the 7-7 tie, including one stop the squash a Delaware man-up opportunity, Beckwith put the Stags in front with a rocket that beat Deluca with 7:31 remaining. The play also resulted in a 60-second extra-man opportunity that led to Murray’s second man-up goal of the day to extend the lead to 9-7.

The Stags tacked on a pair of late goals as Beckwith and Burke each completed their hat tricks to round out the final score at 11-7.

Fairfield was 2-of-3 on extra-man opportunities while Delaware went 0-of-3. Led by their success on the draw, the Stags also held an edge in ground balls, 26-25. Both teams took 38 shots and each club committed 12 turnovers.

Prior to the game, the Stags recognized the eight seniors playing in their final contest tonight – Behring, Fleming, Knostman, Panepinto, Matt Borda, Andrew Eidenshink, Christopher Giorgio and Logan Williamson. First-year graduate transfer Tim Mulrenan, who previously played at Villanova, also made his first appearance for the Stags as his career came to a close.

Fleming and Knostman both conclude their Fairfield careers with 62 games played, trailing only their former teammate Greg Perraut ’14 for the most games played by Stag (63).
Men’s Lacrosse Falls to UMBC in Regular Season Finale
FINAL SCORE: UMBC 10, Vermont 7
Jack Knight had a four-point day on a hat trick plus an assist, but Vermont could not recover from a four-goal first quarter as the Catamounts fell 10-7 to UMBC on Saturday afternoon.Out of the gate UMBC struck with a four-goal run to build early momentum in the first quarter. Knight finished a feed from Ben French late in the stanza to put the Catamounts on the board and wrap up the quarter with a 4-1 score. In the second quarter, Knight added a pair just under three minutes apart to lock in the hat trick.

In the second half Vermont used a pair of man-up goals as part of a deficit-trimming effort, but the Retrievers worked up their lead to as many as five and put the game out of reach. However, UVM did find the cage by way of Kyle Walsh and Luc LeBlanc late in regulation, wrapping up the day’s scoring.

Cam Milligan added a pair of assists, feeding Knight’s third tally and later setting up Ben French‘s team-high 26th goal in the fourth quarter while on an EMO. Although UMBC won the shots on goal battle (17-15) and had a slight edge in ground balls (26-25), the Green and Gold held a 10-5 advantage in caused turnovers, led by four from Warren Jeffrey.

Saturday’s game also wrapped up the Catamount careers of seniors Ben Cox, Andrew Duffy, Luc LeBlanc, Jon Kaplan, Milligan, Alex Stanko, Walsh and Karl Weller.

Milligan’s two assists bring his career stat line to 170 points on 84 goals and 86 assists. He logged a point in all but one of his 45 games as a Catamount and now ranks sixth in program history in career points as well as third in career assists.

UVM finishes the campaign 5-8 overall and 1-5 in America East play, while UMBC wraps up the regular season with a 6-7 mark (4-2 America East). Albany will host the America East Tournament next weekend.


Hudak and Newsome Score Four Goals Each In Brown’s 20-5 Win Over Dartmouth

Hanover, NH – Junior middy Stephen Hudak (Rydal, PA) and sophomore attackman Jackson Newsome (Arlington, VA) scored four goals each to lead the Brown men’s lacrosse team to a 20-5 Ivy league win over Dartmouth at Scully-Fahey Field. The Bears finish the regular season with a 9-5 overall mark, 4-2 in the Ivy League, while Dartmouth falls to 2-11 overall, 0-6 in Ivy play.

Brown is the third seed in the Ivy League Tournament Semifinals, starting next Friday, May 5, and will play #13 and second seed Princeton at 3:30 pm on ESPNU.  All tournament games will be played at Yale’s Reese Stadium in New Haven. CT. The championship game is on Sunday, May 7 at 12 noon on ESPNU.

Hudak and Newsome led a Brown attack that had 11 different players score goals. Junior Michael Panepinto (Needham, MA) had two goals and two assists, while freshman Jason Curren (Wading River, NY) and Foster LeBoeuf (Beverly, MA) netted two goals each.

Bears’ freshman goalie Phil Goss (San Francisco, CA) made five saves, while allowing four goals in three quarters of play.  Senior Peter Scott (Mercer Island, WA) finished the game, playing 15 minutes in the fourth quarter. Senior defenseman  Alec Tulett (Toronto, Ontario) caused five turnovers for the Bears.

Brown out-shot the Big Green by a 59-24 margin and had a 55-32 edge in ground balls.

David Gallagher paced the Big Green with four goals. George Christopher registered 13 saves in net for Dartmouth, playing 47:33.

The Big Green grabbed an early 2-0 lead before Brown’s Newsome got the Bears on the scoreboard with 9:33 left in the quarter.

Newsome’s goal ignited a 4-0 Brown run with goals by Hudak, Panepinto and senior Matt Graham (Amityville, NY) to give the Bears a 4-2 lead at the 3:41 mark.

Gallagher scored for the Big Green to cut Brown’s lead to 4-3 after 15 minutes.

Hudak scored consecutive goals and Newsome added another to lift the Bears to a 7-3 advantage at the half.

Newsome netted his third goal of the game to open third quarter action and give Brown an 8-3 lead. Brown’s scoring onslaught continued with goals by freshman Luke McCaleb (Chevy Chase, MD), Hudak, Newsome, and senior Larkin Kemp (Greenwich, CT) for a 12-3 lead.  Gallagher’s goal for the Big Green cut Brown’s lead to 12-4 after three quarters.

The fourth quarter was much of the same as the Bears out-scored the Big Green by an 8-1 margin.