St. Anselm Men’s Lacrosse Big First Quarter Fuels 18-11 Win over Post

MANCHESTER, N.H. – The #20 Saint Anselm College men’s lacrosse team scored eight goals in the first quarter, which proved to be a big enough cushion for the Hawks to pick up an 18-11 victory over Post University on Friday afternoon in non-league action in Manchester, N.H.

Box Score

The Hawks improve to 2-1 on the year, while the Eagles fall to 1-3. Saint Anselm is back in action next Saturday when they host the College of Saint Rose at 12 p.m. at Grappone Stadium.

Anthony Busconi scored five goals, while Dylan Ryan had a six-point day with three goals and three assists to fuel the Saint Anselm attack. Patrick Sweeney also netted a hat-trick and added an assist, while James Olsen had two goals and two assists in the win. Ryan Hesseltine added a goal and two assists, while Brennan Quackenbush, Chris McCormack and Xavier Quinn had a goal and an assist each.

Defensively, Busconi also caused four turnovers, with Quackenbush picking up three caused turnovers and three groundballs. Chris McCormack won 20-of-27 face-offs and picked up 12 groundballs to lead the Hawks. Drew Bourdeau added five groundballs and two caused turnovers as well.

Lucas DeAngelo played three quarters and had seven saves on 13 shots to pick up the win. Nick Richard closed out the fourth quarter, making one save in the period.

Post was led by two goals and an assist each from Luke McDermott and Mitchell Kinney. Paul Hylan and Wilson Gurney had a goal and an assist apiece, while Trevor Buchas and Raymond Maeang each found the net twice. Shane Trost dropped to 1-3 on the year while making 19 saves in goal.

The Eagles struck first as they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the opening five minutes of action. Sweeney ended the run with a goal at the 6:46 mark before Alex Pacitti and Brennan Quackenbush scored 24 seconds apart to make it a 3-2 lead with 5:05 remaining. Xavier Quinn made it a 4-2 lead with a tally and Busconi entered the scoring column at the 2:42 mark as the Hawks grabbed a 5-2 advantage.

Saint Anselm would find the back of the net three times in the final minute of the period to cap an 8-0 run that gave the Hawks an 8-2 lead after the first quarter.

Post ended the run with a goal in the opening minute of the second quarter, but Busconi scored at the 8:55 mark to keep the Hawks in front, 9-3. After the Eagles scored a man-down goal from Kinney, Dylan Ryan and Busoni answered with two-straight goals to give the Hawks an 11-4 advantage headed into the break.

As they had done in the previous two quarters, Post netted the first two tallies of the third stanza as Gurney and McDermott scored back-to-back goals to make it an 11-6 game with 12:06 to play. The Hawks answered with four-straight goals off the sticks of Olsen, Hesseltine, Busconi and Ryan to make it a 15-6 game after three periods.

McCormack and Olsen opened the fourth quarter with a pair of goals to put the game out of reach at 17-6. The Eagles would score five times down the stretch, but Busconi added one more with three minutes to play, as the Hawks lead was too much to overcome for the visitors.

Saint Anselm held a 64-30 edge in shots and also grabbed a 44-32 advantage in groundballs in the game. The Hawks committed 25 turnovers to 29 for the Eagles, while Saint Anselm was 18-of-20 on clears compared to 21-of-30 for Post. The Hawks won 21-of-31 face-offs in the game as well.


Four Eagles Score Twice as Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Saint Anselm 18-11

Post returns to action Wednesday at Saint Rose

MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Post University men’s lacrosse team was defeated by Saint Anselm 18-11 on Friday afternoon at Grappone Stadium in Manchester, N.H. Four Eagles scored two goal each in the loss.

Post grabbed an early lead after an interference penalty on Saint Anselm led to an extra-man opportunity. Just as the penalty expired, senior Trevor Buchas (Bristol, Conn.) scored off a pass from senior Paul Hylan (Clinton, Conn.).

The Eagles pulled in front 2-0 with 10:20 to play in the first as senior Mitchell Kinney (Hemlock, N.Y.) picked up a ground ball after a turnover by the Hawks and quickly scored his fourth goal of the year. Unfortunately, Post would not score again in the quarter as Saint Anselm scored eight goals to grab control of the game.

Post won the opening faceoff of the second quarter and Hylan beat the keeper to cut the deficit to 8-3. Kinney also scored his second goal of the game later in the period as the Eagles trailed 11-4 at the half.

Freshman Wilson Gurney (Victory, British Columbia) and senior Luke McDermott (New Milford, Conn.) scored back-to-back goals to open the third. Post outscored the Hawks 5-3 in the final quarter as senior Raymond Maeang (Newburgh, N.Y.) tallied his first two goals of the season.

Freshman Ben Price (Eden Prairie, Minn.) had four caused turnovers on the day. He leads the Eagles with 11 this season. Price, Gurney, and senior goaltender Shane Trost (Rochester, N.Y.) each grabbed five ground balls. Trost also made a season-high 19 saves.

Post returns to action on Wednesday, March 22 on the road at Saint Rose. Face off in Albany, N.Y. is set for 4:30 p.m.