Women’s Roundup March 9th

Brown Women’s Lacrosse Edged by Bryant, 9-8, in Eighth Annual Ocean State Cup

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown women’s lacrosse team was edged by Bryant, 9-8, in the Eighth Annual Ocean State Cup at Stevenson-Pincince Field on Wednesday night. The Bulldogs claimed their first Ocean State Cup and improved to 3-1 on the season while the Bears moved to 2-3.

After trailing the majority of the game, Bryant came back to tie the game at 7-7, later 8-8, and scored the go-ahead goal with 2:45 left on the clock. Brown held possession with 24 second remaining in the contest but Bryant forced a turnover to secure its win.

The Bears opened the game with two-straight goals, the first from sophomore Hafsa Moinuddin (Cheshire, Conn.) at 26:24, and the second from freshman KC Williams (Duxbury, Mass.) on a free position shot at 23:20.

Bryant then responded with three unanswered goals to take a 3-2 lead.

Moinuddin registered her second goal of the contest at 13:28 to tie the score, 3-3. Junior Bri Irons (Wallingford, Pa.) next added a free position goal at 5:34 to give the Bears a 4-3 advantage and sophomore Carolyn Paletta (Greenwich, Conn.) added to their lead with a score shortly after (5:07).

Each goalie made six saves in the first half defensively while Bryant narrowly outshot Brown, 17-15. The Bears held the slight advantage in draw controls at 5-4. Brown was also a perfect 2-for-2 in free position shots while Bryant was shutout, going 0-for-3.

The Bears registered the first goal of the second half as Grace Plassche’s (Clinton, N.J.) score at 29:32 grew their lead to three (6-3).

Jess DeMeo cut the Bears’ lead to two (6-4) at 21:50 with a free position goal, and second tally of the game. Irons again brought Brown’s lead to three (7-4) when she scored her second of the contest at 19:32. Bryant countered with three straight goals, including two from DeMeo, to knot the game, 7-7 (12:33).

Sophomore Zoe Verni (Mamaroneck, N.Y.) gave the Bears back the lead at 11:26 with Moinuddin providing the helper.

Bryant’s Shannon Sullivan tied it up again (8-8) with a goal at 9:56. After a back-and-forth battle, Sullivan broke the tie game with her second-straight goal at 2:45, giving the visitors a 9-8 advantage.

The Bulldogs won the ensuing draw control but the Bears’ defense remained strong and forced a shot clock violation. After a successful clear, Madison McNally forced a Brown turnover but later turned it over herself, giving the Bears possession with 24 seconds left on the clock. Brown would go on to turn over the ball as time was winding down.

Junior Mikaela Karlsson (Framingham, Mass.) made three saves in the second while Samantha Santeramo made two for the Bulldogs. Karlsson finished the game with nine combined saves while Santeramo tallied eight.

Bryant again had the shot lead in the second at 15-10 while draws were again close with both teams recording five wins. The Bears were 0-for-1 on free positions shots in the second while the Bulldogs were 1-for-4.

Moinuddin paced the Bears’ offense with three points on two goals and one assist while Irons also added two goals. DeMeo powered Bryant with four goals while Sullivan added a hat trick.


Lindgren Scores Four, but No. 7 Queens Edges No. 13 Bentley 8-5

Box Score

SPARKS, Md. – Senior attack Hannah Lindgren (Southborough, Mass./Algonquin) scored four goals, but No. 7 ranked Queens University slipped past No. 13 Bentley, 8-5 in a non-conference game in Maryland on Wednesday afternoon.

It was a tale of two halves at the US Lacrosse complex. Queens controlled the first half and led 7-1 at the break. But it was all Bentley in the 2nd half, as they outscored the Royals 4-1, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the first half deficit.

After Queens scored the opening goal of the game, Lindgren scored for Bentley at the 18:52 mark. But the Royals went on to score six in a row in a seven minute span, beginning with a goal from midfielder Allison Conn at the 14:30 mark.

Starting in the 2nd half though, Bentley began to fight back. Midfielder Kathleen Gillespie (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet) netted the opening goal at 25:07, followed by Lindgren cutting the deficit to 7-3 with a goal at the 20:50 mark.

Following that goal though, Bentley went through a 15 minute scoring drought, and Queens scored in the meantime to boost its lead to 8-3.

Lindgren scored twice in a 48 second span, the second came with 4:13 remaining in the game to cut Queens’ lead to 8-5, but they were unable to score again.

After playing its first two games of the season in Maryland, the Falcons will play their home opener on Saturday against New York Tech.