Division II Roundup 3/6

St. Anselm Men’s Lacrosse rally falls short at #13 Mercy

DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. – The Saint Anselm College men’s lacrosse team nearly overcame a five-goal second half deficit, but came up just short, falling on the road 11-10 at #13 Mercy College on Saturday afternoon in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.

Box Score

The Hawks drop to 0-1 on the season, while the Mavericks improve to 4-1 on the young year. Saint Anselm returns to action next Saturday when they host American International College in their NE10 opener at 12 p.m.

Patrick Sweeney recorded a hat-trick and an assist to lead the Hawks, while Ryan Hesseltine netted two goals to go with two assists. Alex Pacitti and Mark Vitello registered two goals apiece, with Anthony Busconi scoring a goal and adding an assist.

Defensively, Lucas DeAngelo made 12 saves in goal in the setback while adding three groundballs. Chris McCormack, Derrick LaBranche and Drew Bourdeau had three groundballs apiece, with Brennan Quackenbush causing a game-high three turnovers.

Mercy was led by three goals and three assists from Daniel Speicher, while Ryan Gibbons improved to 4-1 by making 16 saves in the victory.

Saint Anselm struck first as Hesseltine found the back of the net with 11:35 to play in the first quarter. Mercy answered with back-to-back goals from Bobby Chillianis and Speicher to take the lead, but Busconi and Hesseltine each scored in the final two minutes of the period to give Saint Anselm a 3-2 lead after one quarter.

Patrick Sweeney opened the second quarter with two-straight goals to extend the Saint Anselm lead to 5-2, but Mercy potted five-straight goals of their own to end the half as the Mavericks would take a 7-5 lead into halftime.

Mercy continued their run into the third quarter as three more goals in the first eight minutes of play gave the Mustangs a 10-5 advantage with 7:06 to play in the third quarter. Mark Vitello scored on a feed from Hesseltine to end the run, before Alex Pacitti scored back-to-back tallies off passes from Sweeney and Xavier Quinn to cut the deficit to 10-8 headed into the final quarter.

Speicher opened the scoring in the fourth quarter with a goal at the 11:39 mark before Vitello found the back of the net just over a minute later to keep it an 11-9 game with 10:25 to play. Sweeney would pull the Hawks to within one at 11-10 with his third goal of the game and 3:48 to play, and the Hawks would have two more attempts at a game-tying goal, but Saint Anselm came away empty-handed as the Mustangs held on for the 11-10 win.

The Hawks held a 42-33 edge in shots in the game while also grabbing 39 groundballs to 35 for Mercy and winning the turnover margin with 15 turnovers to 18 for the Mustangs. Both teams were effective on clears as the Hawks went 20-for-24 and Mercy was 17-for-21, while Mercy was able to win 14-of-24 face-offs in the game.


Buchas Scores Twice as Eagles Fall to Franklin Pierce 12-5

Post returns to action Saturday against #16 Pace

WATERBURY, Conn. – The Post University men’s lacrosse team lost to Franklin Pierce 12-5 at LaMoy Field on Sunday afternoon. The Eagles fall to 1-2 on the young season.

Post started the day great with two quick goals. Senior Mitchell Kinney (Hemlock, N.Y.) picked up a ground ball after a shot by classmate Luke McDermott (New Milford, Conn.) and put the Eagles in front 1-0 at the 11:29 mark of the first.

The Eagles won the ensuing face off and senior Raymond Maeang (Newburgh, N.Y.) found Trevor Buchas (Bristol, Conn.) to extend the advantage to 2-0. Franklin Pierce cut the deficit to one at the 6:54 mark and tied the score under a minute later. The Ravens grabbed the lead for good late in the quarter as Sean Delea scored his second goal.

Down 5-2 in the second, the Eagles made the most of a Franklin Pierce turnover as Kinney found McDermott for his fourth goal of the year. Post trailed 6-3 at the half.

Senior Alsharif Blackman (Easton, Pa.) and Buchas scored for the Eagles in the second half.

Franklin Pierce outshot Post 40-33 overall and 25-19 on goal. Groundballs were fairly even for both sides with the Ravens grabbing one more at 39-38. Blackman picked up seven balls and was one of three Eagles with two caused turnovers. Senior goalkeeper Shane Trost (Rochester, N.Y.) made 13 saves between the pipes.

Post returns to action at home on Saturday, March 11 against No. 16 Pace. Face off is set for 3 p.m.


Palumbo’s OT Winner Caps Late Comeback for St. Anselm Women’s Lacrosse in First Win of 2017

DAVENPORT, Fla. – Emma Palumbo scored with 3:36 remaining in overtime to give the Saint Anselm College women’s lacrosse team an 11-10 victory over Young Harris College after the Hawks trailed by five goals in the second half on Monday at Northeast Regional Park.

Box Score

Saint Anselm (1-1) trailed Young Harris (4-3) 9-4 with 17:58 remaining in the second half and 10-6 with 11:09 to go before the Hawks rallied for their first win of the young season, as Palumbo was set up by Erica Mattila just nine seconds after Palumbo hit the cross bar in the second of two three-minute halves of the extra session. The game was the first-ever meeting between the programs.

Meaghan Sheehy led Saint Anselm with a career-high six points on four goals and two assists. Palumbo recorded her second-straight hat trick, Rachel Henderson tallied two goals and an assist, while Erica Mattila and Marta Versprille each registered a goal and an assist. Zoie Cavotta picked up her first-career victory with three saves, all in the first half.

Sarah Bialecki paced Young Harris with a goal and three assists, Maddie Everhardt had two goals and one assist and Nicole Kernohan netted a hat trick for the Mountain Lions. Julia Darroch made 18 saves in net to keep Young Harris ahead prior to the late Saint Anselm rally, as the Hawks held a commanding 40-14 lead in shots in the game.

The Mountain Lions took the five-goal lead inside the final 18 minutes by scoring the first four goals of the second half. The Hawks got back-to-back goals from Palumbo and Mattila to get within three, 9-6, before Everhardt put Young Harris back up by four with 11:09 remaining.

Just 43 seconds after Everhardt’s goal, Sheehy started the comeback, as she scored three of the final four goals of regulation. After Sheehy’s tally, Versprille grabbed her first goal of the season with 7:36 to bring the Hawks within two. Sheehy scored the final two goals of regulation with 6:49 and 4:19 to go to knot the game at 10-10, before having a chance to win it with 31 seconds remaining, but her free-position shot was saved by Darroch to send the game to overtime.

In the first half, Young Harris rattled off the game’s first four goals before Sheehy got the Hawks on the board with a free-position shot with 7:59 left in the half. The Mountains later led 5-2 with 6:47 to play in the opening half but goals from Henderson and Palumbo trimmed the deficit to just one at the break.

Saint Anselm grabbed 22 ground balls to nine for Young Harris, led by Mattila’s six and three each from Henderson and Becca Shea. The Hawks also committed fewer turnovers (14 to 21) and won 15-of-20 draw controls in the game. Saint Anselm was 11-of-13 on clears, compared to 15-of-25 for Young Harris.

The Hawks are off for a couple days before a 1 p.m. matchup at the University of Tampa on Thursday, March 9.