BOSTON – Senior Cal Dearth and junior Ryan Hilburn each recorded two goals and two assists to help lead the No. 19 Boston University men’s lacrosse team to a 12-9 victory over Bryant on Tuesday night at Nickerson Field.
Final Score: #19 Boston University 12, Bryant 9
Records: BU (5-0), Bryant (2-3)
Location: Nickerson Field – Boston, Mass.
- Bryant scored three goals in the third quarter to cut the Terriers’ lead to 6-5 entering the final 15 minutes, but BU scored four of the next five goals to never relinquish its advantage and take a 10-6 lead midway through the quarter.
- Junior Joe Stucky went 7-of-11 at the faceoff X in the fourth quarter and BU earned 11 ground balls to just six for Bryant in that frame.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BU opened up a 4-0 lead with 5:54 left in the first quarter thanks to consecutive goals from Hilburn. Dearth started the scoring less than 2:00 into the contest before sophomore James Burr added to the lead. Hilburn’s run of two straight strikes began with a man-up goal.
- Bryant got a goal back to make it a 4-1 Terrier lead after 15 minutes, but senior Christian Carson-Banister was brilliant in the opening quarter. He made seven stops in that stanza to help BU build its advantage.
- Junior Greg Farris extended the lead to 5-1 with 8:50 remaining, and after a Bryant goal, junior Jack Wilson got the Terriers a 6-2 halftime lead with 1:35 to play in the second quarter.
- The Bulldogs scored the only three goals of the third quarter to cut the Terrier lead to 6-5, though a big save by Carson-Banister at the end of the period kept BU ahead entering the final 15 minutes.
- Two goals in 20 seconds gave BU an 8-5 lead with 10:41 to play. Burr scored his second of the game off a great feed from Dearth before Wilson notched his second goal of the night in transition off a Bryant miscue.
- Bryant cut the lead to 8-6, but sophomore Drew Lukacs responded by collecting the ground ball on the ensuing faceoff and taking it himself for his second goal of the season.
- Wilson then made it 10-6 when BU backed up a shot and cleared it immediately with a long pass to Hilburn, who set up Wilson.
- Senior Jack Beall made perhaps the play of the game to give BU an 11-7 lead. He single-handedly caused a turnover, ran to the other end of the field and fed Dearth for the goal.
- Sophomore Thomas Schmidt scored his first collegiate goal late in the fourth to help seal the 12-9 score line, with Bryant adding two late tallies.
- Wilson extended his point streak to 31 games thanks to his three-goal day.
- This win continues the best start in program history for BU, which finished February 5-0.
- Carson-Banister made 12 saves and has yet to allow 10 or more goals in a game this season.
- Senior Dominick Calisto caused two turnovers and collected five ground balls.
- Beall also caused two turnovers and added a pair of ground balls.
- Burr finished with three points, adding an assist to his two goals.
- Stucky earned the first point of his collegiate career with an assist on Schmidt’s goal.
- The Terriers went 16-of-17 on clears and turned the ball over just 10 times while forcing seven of Bryant’s 12 turnovers.
- BU will conclude its brief two-game homestand on Saturday when the Terriers host Air Force on Saturday at 12 p.m.