Weekend D2 Roundup: 2/26

NYIT’s Big 3rd Quarter Run Lifts Them Past Bentley in Opener

OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – New York Tech went on a 6-0 run that started in the 3rd quarter and stretched to the 4th to defeat Bentley University 13-9 in the season opener for both teams.

Bentley twice took the lead in the 3rd quarter. First on a goal by senior attack John Wheeler (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) 1:39 into the quarter to give them a 5-4 lead. After NYIT scored a little less than two minutes later, Matt Sanford (Stratham, N.H./Bow) scored a man-up goal for the Falcons at the 8:37 mark to give them a 6-5 lead.

However following that goal, the Bears closed the quarter on a 5-0 run, with three of the goals coming in a span of just 1:42 to take an 8-6 lead. Attacker George Schultz then scored two goals in a row for NYIT over the final 4:30 of the 3rd quarter to give them a 10-6 lead.

The Bears opened the 4th quarter with a goal from Will Kistinger, before Bentley broke the run with a goal from Sam Hurley (Medfield, Mass./Medfield). That cut the deficit to 11-7 with 10:50 to play, but the Falcons weren’t able to get any closer than four goals the rest of the way. Sanford would add his 2nd goal of the day with 3:36 left, and sophomore Alex Astarita (Bedford, N.H./Bishop Guertin) found the back of the net with 47 seconds to close out the scoring for Bentley.

The Falcons will now be off for the next week and a half, and when they return to the field, it will be in North Carolina against Catawba on March 8.


Post Men’s Lacrosse Drops Season-Opener to Chestnut Hill 17-8

Nichols Jr. and Kinney score twice for Post

WATERBURY, Conn. – The Post University men’s lacrosse team drops its season-opener to Chestnut Hill 17-8 on Saturday afternoon at LaMoy Field. Junior Frank Nichols Jr. (Oceanside, Calif.) and freshman Mitchell Kinney (Hemlock, N.Y.) each scored twice in the loss.

Down 1-0 in the first quarter, freshman Ben Price (Eden Prairie, Minn.) forced a turnover soon after the faceoff. The Eagles wasted no time on offense as senior Luke McDermott (New Milford, Conn.) quickly found Nichols to tie the game 1-1.

Nichols put Post in front 2-1 with 7:37 left in the first quarter on an assist by senior Alsharif Blackman (Easton, Pa.), but Chestnut Hill answered to tie the game once again.

Price came up huge on defense again late in the quarter, forcing another turnover at midfield and hit Kinney in transition to put the Eagles ahead 3-2. Alec Dambach scored for the Griffins with just over a minute left to make the score 3-3 after one.

The Eagles outshot Chestnut Hill 11-10 in the second quarter, but were unable beat the keeper as the Griffins scored five times to take control of the game at 8-3 heading into the half.

Junior Kyle Hewlett (Bridgeport, Conn.) scored to start the third quarter and cut the deficit just four. The Eagles would never be able to pull closer.

A two-man advantage for Post in the fourth quarter led to goals by Kinney and senior Trevor Buchas (Bristol, Conn.) to make the score 13-7.

Post was outshot 47-34 on the day and 31-25 on goal. Junior goalkeeper Shane Trost (Rochester, N.Y.) made 14 saves in his first-career start. Blackman picked up a team-high seven groundballs. Senior Jack Kearney (Sandy Hook, Conn.) added a goal, three groundballs, and four caused turnovers.

The Eagles return on Wednesday, March 1 on the road at American International in Springfield, Mass. Face-off is set for 4 p.m.