Score: #20 Bucknell 13, Holy Cross 7
Records: Holy Cross (4-11); Bucknell (10-4)
Location: Lewisburg, Pa.
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2016
The Lead: Will Sands posted 10 points and Christian Klipstein made 21 saves for the Bison as the No. 6 seed Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 3 seed and No. 20 nationally-ranked Bucknell, 13-7 on Tuesday night in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bison scored the first four goals of the first quarter to take a 4-0 lead.
- Junior Jon Vogel (Chesterfield, Mo.) ended Bucknell’s scoring streak when he found the back of the net off a pass by senior captain Sean Wilkinson (Ridgefield, Conn.).
- Bucknell then closed out the half by netting five straight goals to take a 9-1 lead.
- The Crusaders netted the first three goals of the third quarter to cut the Bucknell lead to 9-4. After sophomore Logan LeBlond (Branchburg, N.J.) found the back of the net, senior Connor Sofield (Long Beach, N.Y.) tallied a goal off a pass by junior Marc Buermann (West Caldwell, N.J.). Then Buermann scored to make it a 9-4 contest with 5:36 left in the third quarter.
- After a goal by Kyle Shanahan, Vogel found the back of the net to make it a 10-5 game with 54 seconds left in the third quarter.
- Quinn Collison then gave Bucknell an 11-6 lead with 13:12 left in the fourth quarter, but the Crusaders responded with a goal by LeBlond off a pass by junior Jack Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.).
- After a goal by Sands, junior Michael Urquhart (Redding, Conn.) scored for the Crusaders.
- Then a goal by Sands gave Bucknell a 13-7 lead with 3:32 left. Sands’ seven assists and 10 points were Patriot League Tournament records.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior captain Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) made four saves, while Klipstein posted a Patriot League Tournament record 21 saves for the Bison.
- Holy Cross outshot Bucknell, 45-22.
- The Crusaders picked up 36 ground balls and the Bison secured 34.
- Holy Cross won 12 face-offs, while Bucknell tallied 11.
- The Crusaders went 1-5 on extra-man opportunities, while the Bison went 2-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This was the first-ever Patriot League Tournament game in program history for the Crusaders.
- Vogel’s 39 goals this season tied for sixth all-time in program history.
- Vogel has netted at least one goal in 17 consecutive games.
- Urquhart scored his first collegiate goal.
- Wilkinson has at least one point in 16 straight games.