Score: Providence 12, Holy Cross 8
Records: Holy Cross (0-1); Providence (1-1)
Location: Providence, R.I. (Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium)
Date: Friday, Feb. 12, 2016
Time: 5:00 p.m.
The Lead: Will Mazzone scored six goals and posted two assists for the Friars as the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team fell to Providence, 12-8, at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium on Friday in the season-opener for the Crusaders.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holy Cross jumped to an early 1-0 lead when senior Connor Sofield (Long Beach, N.Y.) netted the first goal of the night for the Crusaders with 12:21 left in the first quarter.
- Providence responded with two goals to claim the lead. First, Mazzone posted the equalizer for the Friars with 10:56 left in the first quarter. In the final 19 seconds of the first quarter, Brendan Kearns scored the go-ahead goal to lead 2-1 to enter the second quarter.
- Mazzone scored a second goal to pull Providence further ahead at the 12:04 mark of the second quarter to go up 3-1 before junior Jon Vogel (Chesterfield, Mo.) scored another Crusader goal (9:58), assisted by junior Marc Buermann (West Caldwell, N.J.) to cut the deficit to one.
- Mazzone scored the next two goals to increase Providence’s lead to 5-2.
- Senior Joe Reilly (Garden City, N.Y.) won a faceoff, picked up a ground ball and put the ball in the back of the net with 6:42 left in the second quarter.
- With 4:40 left to play in the second quarter, Vogel earned his second goal of the night to cut the Friar lead 5-4, as each team remained scoreless for the rest of the quarter.
- Providence scored the first three goals of the third quarter to move out to an 8-4 advantage. With 1:15 left in the third quarter, junior Kevin Lux (Manlius, N.Y.) found the back of the net as the Crusaders trailed 8-5 going into the fourth quarter. Vogel assisted on the goal.
- The Friars led off the fourth quarter with two quick goals by Kearns (14:32 and 13:00) before Holy Cross had a three-goal surge to trim Providence’s lead to two goals at 10-8. Buermann scored the first with a man-up advantage at 10:24, followed by two more by Sofield (8:04 and 7:19) who notched a hat trick.
- Mazzone and Connor Hilton scored the final two goals of the game, as the Friars earned the 12-8 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior captain Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) made 12 saves, while Tate Boyce posted 10 saves for the Friars to earn the victory.
- Providence outshot Holy Cross, 40-31.
- The Friars picked up 31 ground balls and the Crusaders posted 23.
- Providence won 14 of 24 face-offs, while Holy Cross went 1-5 on extra-man opportunities and Providence went 1-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sofield posted his first career hat trick.
- Vogel led the Crusaders with four points on two goals and two assists.
- This was the first game ever played at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
- The Crusaders will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 20, when they host Vermont in their home-opener at 2:35 p.m.