Lady Stags Top Marist, 10-9, to Clinch Second Seed in Upcoming MAAC Championship

Stags Top Marist, 10-9, to Clinch Second Seed in Upcoming MAAC Championship

Fuchs and Mascera register hat tricks in 10-9 road win

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Hat tricks from Jenna Fuchs and Julieanne Mascera led the Fairfield University women’s lacrosse team to a 10-9 victory at Marist in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action on Saturday afternoon. Maeve Quinn dished out three assists in the win.

With the victory, Fairfield (11-4, 6-1 MAAC) clinches the second seed in the upcoming MAAC Championship. The Stags earn a bye to the semifinals of the tournament, which will be hosted by Canisius. More details will be available on as they are finalized by the conference office throughout the week.

In addition to three goals apiece from Fuchs and Mascera, the Stags got single goals from Courtney Chmil, Alex Fehmel, Riley Hellstein and Colleen Reynolds. Hellstein also dished out an assist and came away with four draw controls for Fairfield. Reynolds and Chmil each snagged three draw controls as the Stags won 12-of-21 draws.

Chelsey Sidaras made seven saves to earn the win between the posts.

Marist (7-7, 3-4 MAAC) was led by a hat trick from Allison Gionta. Abigail Witczak made four saves for the Red Foxes.

Fairfield raced out of the gates with four goals over the first 10 minutes of action. Hellstein, Mascera, Fehmel and Fuchs each found the back of the net as the Stags claimed the early 4-0 lead. After two quick Marist markers, Mascera and Fuchs struck again. Chmil would get into the act late in the first half, but the hosts also scored three times in the closing minutes of the period as Fairfield took a 7-5 advantage into the locker room.

Fuchs and Marscera completed their respective hat tricks in a span of just 38 seconds as the Stags opened up a 9-5 lead less than two minutes into the second half. After a Marist goal, Reynolds answered with a marker to rebuild a four-goal cushion. Gionta would score to cut the deficit to 10-7, and the Red Foxes then scored twice in the game’s final thirty seconds to trim the deficit to one. However, the Stags’ early proved insurmountable as they left Poughkeepsie with a 10-9 victory.

Marist outshot Fairfield, 19-16, and held a 12-11 edge in ground balls.

The Stags will conclude the regular season this Wednesday, April 22 at Quinnipiac. Opening draw from Hamden is slated for 3 p.m.