Division I Roundup – March 24th

QU Men’s Lacrosse Tops Detroit Mercy in MAAC Thriller, 13-12

HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac University men’s lacrosse team picked up a crucial MAAC win on Saturday afternoon, hanging on to defeat Detroit Mercy, 13-12, at the QU Lacrosse Turf Complex in Hamden. With the win, the Bobcats improved to 1-1 in the MAAC, leaving the Titans winless begin conference play.

Clinging to a one goal lead with six minutes left in regulation, Quinnipiac leaned on its defense to help prevail in its conference home opener. Leading 12-11, the Bobcats defense buckled down, coupling key forced turnovers and timely saves by Colin Nesdale (Cheshire, Conn.) to keep Detroit off the scoreboard.

On the other end, Quinnipiac maintained possession for long spurts and capitalized on its final man-up opportunity to earn a two-goal cushion. The Titans scored late, but Quinnipiac snagged the final faceoff and ran out the clock.

Senior Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.) and junior Ryan Keenan (Oshawa, Ontario) paced the attack for Quinnipiac. Sagl finished with five points on one goal and four assists – securing his 10th career five-point game. He also extended his point streak to 39 straight games.

Keenan netted four goals and assisted on another, joining Sagl with five points on the afternoon. Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.) finished with two goals and two assists, and three others had multiple points in the game. Brian Feldman (Canandaigua, N.Y.) finished off a hat trick; Pat Corcoran(Stratford, Conn.) had one goal and two assists; and Kevin Diehl (Towson, Md.) did the same with one goal and two assists. Matt Kycia(West Hartford, Conn.) completed the scoring summary, tallying his marker at the end of the third quarter.

Quinnipiac flashed its offensive potential in the first half, scoring a season high of eight goals in the opening 30 minutes. That led to an 8-7 lead at halftime.

The Bobcats extended its margin to three by the end of the third quarter, when Feldman and Kycia netted back-to-back goals to take a 12-9 lead. Detroit scored consecutive goals to pull within one, but couldn’t find the equalizer in the waning minutes.

Defensively, Nesdale finished with 11 saves for the Bobcats. He had one in the first, three in the second, two in the third and a game-high of five in the fourth. He added six ground balls in his first career win.

Quinnipiac was successful due to the time of possession statistic. The Bobcats claimed a 16-12 advantage at the faceoff X, held a 29-26 edge in ground balls and only turned the ball over seven times in the game.

Conversely, Detroit Mercy had 14 turnovers – six of which that were caused by Quinnipiac. Six different players earned a caused turnover in the game.

The Titans, who fell to 4-4 on the season, were led by Brandon Beauregard who had four goals and one assists. Shayne Adams added two goals and two assists – extending his nation leading point streak to 54 games.

Quinnipiac is back in action with its third MAAC game of the season, playing host to Marist College on Saturday, March 28. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. at the QU Lacrosse Turf Complex in Hamden.


Holy Cross Men’s Lacrosse Wins Second Straight With 13-11 Victory Over St. John’s


Score: Holy Cross 13, St. John’s 11

Records: Holy Cross (5-4, 2-2 Patriot League), St. John’s (2-7, 0-0 Big East)

Location: Worcester, Mass. (Holy Cross Field)

Date: Saturday, March 21, 2015

Time: 1:05 p.m.

The Lead: Senior Terry McKenna (Summit, N.J.) and sophomore Kevin Lux (Manlius, N.Y.) each posted three goals and one assist for four points to lead the Crusaders as the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team defeated St. John’s, 13-11, on Saturday afternoon.


  • St. John’s scored the first two goals of the game to jump out to an early 2-0 lead with 12:10 left in the first quarter. Senior Clay Haarmann(Mendham, N.J.) opened the scoring for the Crusaders at the 5:12 mark of the quarter. The Red Storm responded with goals from James Bonnano and Jackson O’Leary to make it 4-1.
  •  Sophomore Marc Buermann (West Caldwell, N.J.) answered with a man-up goal assisted from Lux. St. John’s closed the quarter with a goal from Eric DeJohn.
  • The Crusaders dominated the second quarter, scoring all three goals in the frame. Bolstered by three saves from junior Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.), including a point-blank man-up chance from the Red Storm, Holy Cross found its offensive rhythm tying the game at 5-5 before the half behind goals from sophomore Jon Vogel (Chesterfield, Mo.), McKenna and Lux.
  • Holy Cross took its first lead of the game early in the third quarter off of a Buermann assisted McKenna man-up goal with 14:06 left. St. John’s tallied two quick goals from Stefan Diachenko and Bonnano to reclaim the lead at 7-6.
  • Consecutive Crusader goals from Haarmann and Buermann gave Holy Cross an 8-7 lead with 1:25 remaining in the quarter. Diachenko responded just before the quarter’s close, tying the game at 8-8 going into the fourth.
  • The Crusaders went on a three-goal run to open up the fourth quarter scoring with tallies from Vogel, McKenna on an extra-man opportunity and Lux to make it 11-8 with 7:46 remaining in the contest.
  • After a goal from Diachenko, Lux found the back of the net to give the Crusaders a 12-9 lead. Back-to-back goals by DeJohn and O’Leary cut the Crusader lead to 12-11 with 1:39 remaining.
  • On the ensuing face-off  junior Joe Reilly (Garden City, N.Y.) raked the ball to himself and secured possession for Holy Cross. The Crusaders ran the clock down and junior Sean Wilkinson (Ridgefield, Conn.) sealed the victory with six seconds remaining, finding the back of the net for the 13-11 final score.


  • Holy Cross converted on all three of its extra-man opportunities, while St. John’s went 0-6.
  • Ortlieb recorded 12 saves and Harry Burke also had 12 for the Red Storm.
  • The Crusaders outshot the Red Storm 41-38.
  • The Red Storm picked up 32 groundballs, while the Crusaders secured 24. Seniors Tyler Purdue (Mendham, N.J.) and Burke Smith (Fairway, Kan.) each recorded four pickups.
  • St. John’s won 16-26 face-offs.


  • The Crusaders’ win was their first victory against St. John’s since a 7-5 victory on Feb. 16, 2008. The Red Storm won the previous six matchups entering the game.
  • Lux and McKenna each tallied three goals and one assist for four points. For Lux, the hat-trick was his fourth of the season and sixth of his career. For McKenna, the hat-trick was his first of the season and 10th of his career.
  • Buermann contributed two goals and two assists, and Wilkinson added one goal and three assists for four points each.


  • The Crusaders are back in action on Saturday, March 28 as they face-off against Patriot League rival Lehigh at 3:05 p.m..


Minuteman Lacrosse Program Outlasts Hofstra For 9-7 Victory
Hegarty’s three goals, Oliveri’s 13 saves spring Massachusetts to CAA league win

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – The University of Massachusetts men’s lacrosse program secured a 9-7 victory at Hofstra Saturday afternoon on the strength of three goals by attackman Brendan Hegarty and a 13-save effort from goalie Zach Oliveri. Gianni Bianchin and Nick Mariano provided three-point performances through two goals and an assist apiece as the Minutemen improved to 3-5 overall and 1-0 in CAA games.

Andrew Sokol also notched three points as he assisted on two tallies and scored one of his own. Dan Muller chipped in a goal and assist while Peter Lindley and Brendan Schroeder helped out on UMass goal each.

Oliveri paced both sides with five groundballs. Close defenseman Kyle Karaska and long-stick midfielder Austin Spencer each scooped up three groundballs while Bob Fahey provided two caused turnovers.

“It was a tough-fought game,” head coach Greg Cannella said. “Our guys hung in there and won a lot of groundballs, which is a positive for us. We played good defense against Hofstra, which is an excellent offensive team. Zach [Oliveri] hung in there and made some great saves for us. All around, it was the effort and energy the guys put forth [that won the game].”

Sam Llinares paced Hofstra with four points through two goals and as many assists. Mike Malave added scored twice as well, but the Pride was able to convert just seven of its 41 attempts against the Massachusetts defense.

Hegarty’s last two tallies provided the difference in the win. The Setauket, New York, native scored unassisted with five minutes, five seconds left in the third for an 8-5 advantage only 58 seconds after Lindley helped Sokol double the lead. Hegarty completed the hat trick with 9:49 left during a shot clock warning situation for the final Massachusetts goal.

Malave and Brier Davis scored two minutes apart to cut the Pride’s deficit to 9-7 with 5:39 to play, but Oliveri made saves on each of Hofstra’s final two possessions to maintain the Minuteman advantage.

“It was exciting to be back here and emotional – it was my first game on Long Island without my dad,” said Zach Oliveri of playing at home on Long Island after the passing of his father, Jim Oliveri, who passed away in December 2014. “I was pumped to get the win. It was great to see my family but you have to focus that energy into the game. I was able to focus and I am proud of how the team did on Long Island facing a great team in Hofstra.”

Hegarty started a five-goal UMass run that turned an early 1-0 deficit into a four-goal advantage in the second quarter. He fielded a pass from Bianchin and faked high to put Hofstra goalie Chris Selva off balance before Hegarty placed a shot low into the back of the goal with 11:51 to go in the first.

Bianchin added a goal to his ledger for the 2-1 advantage only 47 seconds later as he connected from straightaway 20 yards out on a Mariano feed from X. Mariano followed with his first of the game at the crease near the right post to triple the advantage nearly five minutes later.

The Minutemen (3-5 overall, 1-0 CAA) continued their scoring run in the second quarter when Sokol found Bianchin in front for the Stoney Creek, Ontario, native’s second goal of the day. Bianchin turned and fired from five yards away and beat Selva low just inside the left post with 9:04 left.

Mariano pushed the advantage to four goals when he snuck one by Selva at the left post with 6:31 to go in the second. Hofstra took a timeout following Mariano’s second goal of the day and Llinares ended the 25-minute Hofstra scoring drought with his first of back-to-back scores separated by 19 seconds on the game clock.

Muller connected from 15 yards out following the halftime break as the Minutemen struck ahead, 6-3. However, Hofstra answered back with one each from Zachary Franco and Brendan Kavanagh to keep Massachusetts from pulling away during the third.

Sokol ended the two-goal Hofstra (3-5, 0-1) run with his second of the afternoon, scored on a feed from Lindley. Sokol’s 13 points through seven games in 2015 already outpaces his production from a season ago, when he had 12 over 13 contests.

Hofstra also totaled a 41-26 margin in shots attempted, with at least 10 in each frame, and Kris Clarke won the Pride 10-of-18 faceoffs. Charlie Schatz went 4-of-5 in the category for the Maroon and White while Noah Rak finished 4-for-13. Selva ended the day with four saves in net.

The Minutemen continue road CAA action with a trip to No. 16/18 Towson (6-3, 0-0). UMass and the Tigers faceoff on Saturday, March 28 at Noon in Johnny Unitas Stadium.

Bellistri and Blynn Score Four Goals Each, #12 Brown Tops Manhattan, 22-9


Providence, R.I. – Junior attackmen Kylor Bellistri (Potomac, MD) and Henry Blynn (Villanova, PA) netted four goals each to help #12 Brown cruise to a 22-9 non-league win over Manhattan Saturday afternoon at Stevenson. Brown improves to 6-1 with the win, while Manhattan falls to 0-9 for the season.

“I’m happy with the energy we played with today,” said Brown head coach Lars Tiffany.  “It was a good day for our offense to continue to grow and learn our new system of quick strike.  I’m especially happy with the play of Bellistri and Blynn.”

Bellistri added two assists to go with his four goals, while Blynn had one assist.  Sophomore attackman Dylan Molloy (Setauket, NY), the nation’s leading scorer, was double and triple-teamed all day, but still managed to score two goals and hand out three assists. Junior middy Brendan Caputo (Westbury, NY) and freshman Owen Rogers (Babylon, NY) also scored two goals each for the Bears.

Junior attackman Bailey Tills (Denver, CO) handed out a game high four assists, while senior attackman Nick Piroli (Black River, NY) had three assists for the Bears.

Brown also excelled in the face-off x, winning 23-of-34 face-offs. Junior Will Gutral (Haverford, PA) led the way by capturing 7-of-9 face-offs, while freshman Ted Ottens (Wilton, CT) was 11-of-15 in the face-off x. Junior goalie Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) made six saves in 30 minutes of play, allowing just two goals.

The Bears out-shot the Jaspers by a 56-28 margin, and held a 54-24 advantage in ground balls.

Manhattan was paced Andrew Gresham, who netted four goals and handed out an assist.  Marcel Godino added two goals for the Jaspers.

After falling behind, 1-0, on a goal by Manhattan’s Marcel Godino, Brown reeled off seven straight goals to grab a 7-1 lead early in the second quarter on a goal by Caputo.  Bellistri and Blynn had two goals each in the run.

The Bears continued their offensive onslaught and built an 11-2 lead at the half on a Molloy goal with 46 seconds left in the second quarter.

Brown scored the first two goals of the second half, one by Blynn and the other by Rogers, to take a 13-2 lead.  The Jaspers answered with two goals by Gresham to cut Brown’s lead to 13-4.

Five straight Brown goals, the last by sophomore Brewster Warble (Bronxville, NY), gave the Bears an 18-4 advantage, their biggest lead of the game.

Brown completes its four-game home stand on Tuesday, March 24, hosting Marist in an evening non-league contest.  All the action starts at 7pm at Stevenson Field.