Division 1 Roundup Feb 23rd

Holy Cross Men’s Lacrosse Upsets #8 Loyola (Md.), 13-12


Score: Holy Cross 13, #8 Loyola (Md.) 12
Records: Holy Cross (2-0, 1-0 Patriot League); Loyola (2-2, 0-1 Patriot League)
Location: Baltimore, Md. (Ridley Athletic Complex)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015
Time: 11:00 a.m.

The Lead: Senior Clay Haarmann (Mendham, N.J.) scored four goals and junior Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) made 13 saves as the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team defeated No. 8 Loyola (Md.), 13-12, at the Ridley Athletic Complex on Saturday in the Patriot League season-opener for both teams. This is the Crusaders’ first ever win versus a nationally ranked team. The Crusaders are also the first team to defeat Loyola in Patriot League action as the Greyhounds went 8-0 in their inaugural Patriot League season last year. Loyola also won the 2012 NCAA national championship.


  • After Loyola took a 1-0 lead with a goal by Romar Dennis, Haarmann netted two straight goals to give the Crusaders a 2-1 advantage with10:34 left in the first quarter. Nikko Pontrello then scored two straight as the Greyhounds moved out to a 3-2 lead. But, sophomore Marc Buermann(West Caldwell, N.J.) tied the contest at 3-3 when he found the back of the net with 5:17 remaining in the first quarter.
  • After the Greyhounds posted the next two goals, sophomore Kevin Lux (Manlius, N.Y.) and junior Sean Wilkinson (Ridgefield, Conn.)each scored a goal to tie the game at 5-5. Lux scored on a man-up opportunity off a pass by Wilkinson, while senior Terry McKenna (Summit, N.J.) tallied an assist on the goal by Wilkinson with 9:41 left in the second quarter.
  • A goal by Tyler Albrecht gave Loyola a 6-5 advantage, but with goals by Lux and Haarmann the Crusaders took a 7-6 lead to the half.
  • The Crusaders continued their momentum with the first two goals of the third quarter increasing their lead to 9-6. McKenna and Lux each found the back of the net. Lux’s goal was assisted by senior Frank Gaul (Glen Rock, N.J.).
  • After a Loyola goal by Zach Herreweyers, Wilkinson scored off a pass from Lux with 3:34 left in the third quarter. And then with just one second left, Wilkinson fired a shot past Grant Limone to give the Crusaders an 11-7 lead.
  • McKenna increased the Crusader lead to five goals when he scored the first goal of the fourth quarter. After the Greyhounds cut the lead to 12-9, Haarmann netted the eventual game-winner with 3:23 remaining.
  • The Greyhounds then scored three straight goals to cut the Holy Cross lead to 13-12 with just 43 seconds remaining.
  • Loyola won the ensuing face-off and then called a timeout with 16 seconds left. With just two seconds remaining, Pontrello fired a shot looking for the equalizer, but Ortlieb made the save to secure the 13-12 victory.


  • Ortlieb made 13 saves, while Pat McEnerney posted one save for the Greyhounds and Limone made three.
  • Four Crusaders posted four points. Haarmann scored four goals, Lux and Wilkinson each posted three goals and one assist, while McKenna tallied two goals and two assists.
  • Loyola outshot Holy Cross, 46-29.
  • The Greyhounds picked up 36 ground balls and the Crusaders posted 27.
  • Loyola won 20 of 28 face-offs.
  • The Crusaders went 1-1 on extra-man opportunities and the Greyhounds went 0-1.


  • This is the Crusaders’ first ever victory over a nationally ranked team.
  • Holy Cross’ 2-0 record to start the season is its best since going 2-0 to begin the 2008 season. This is the Crusaders’ first 1-0 start in the Patriot League since the 2010 season.
  • Haarmann now has nine career hat-tricks and four career game-winning goals.
  • Wilkinson posted his second hat-trick of the season and the fourth of his career.
  • Lux now has three career hat-tricks.


Schnider, McLinden Lead Men’s Lacrosse Past Manhattan, 15-4

Neubauer adds hat trick in non-conference victory at Rafferty Stadium

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Charlie Schnider and Colin McLinden each racked up six points to lead the Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team past Manhattan, 15-4, on Saturday at Rafferty Stadium. TJ Neubauer added a hat trick for the Stags in the non-conference victory.

Schnider paced Fairfield (2-1) with five goals, while all six of McLinden’s points came courtesy of his half-dozen assists. Neubauer notched two assists to go along with his trio of goals, and Tristan Sperry scored two goals and handed out one assist.

Rounding out the Stags’ offense were goals from Joe Rodrigues, Dave Fleming, Cameron Parker, Drew Federico and Drew Murray. Parker’s tally was the first of his collegiate career.

In the midfield, Neubauer and Louis DiGiacomo each scooped up five ground balls. DiGiacomo was also a force in the faceoff ‘X’ with 11 wins on 15 attempts. Will Fox added a 4-for-5 day in the ‘X’.

Andrew Eidenshink caused three turnovers with three ground balls in the defensive zone, while Brad Nordstrom made four saves en route to victory. Tyler Behring and Daniel Costa also both saw time between the posts in relief of the freshman netminder.

As a unit, the Stags outshot Manhattan (0-3), 50-14, and picked up 38 ground balls to the Jaspers’ 18. Fairfield committed 12 turnovers while pressuring the visitors into 20 miscues.

The Stags never trailed in the contest, as Schnider picked up the first two goals of the afternoon. Neubauer got into the scoring act shortly thereafter and, following a Manhattan goal by Nick Stutler, Schnider completed his first-quarter hat trick and staked Fairfield to a 4-1 lead after 15 minutes of action.

Though the Jaspers struck first in the second quarter to cut the deficit to 4-2, Fairfield would light the lamp three times in the final five minutes of the half. Schnider started the streak with his fourth goal of the day, and Sperry added two tallies less than three minutes apart to send the Stags into the locker room holding a 7-2 lead.

A man-up goal just 83 seconds into the second half capped Schnider’s scoring day, and was followed less than one minute later by a goal from Murray. After Kevin Cox scored to end the Jaspers’ scoring drought at 18:12 of game time, Fairfield quickly took that goal back on a Federico goal assisted by Jake Knostman. Neubauer tacked on two more – including a man-up goal – to extend the lead to 12-3 before a late Jaspers’ goal ended the third quarter with Fairfield in front, 12-4.

Three more Stags’ goals accounted for all of the fourth quarter scoring as markers from Rodrigues, Fleming and Parker capped off the 15-4 triumph.

After his six-assist performance, McLinden stands in ninth place all-time in Fairfield lacrosse history with 117 career points. The senior midfielder-turned-attackman also had six helpers in the Stags’ overtime win at Yale last season.

Today’s contest was originally scheduled to be played this evening in Riverdale, N.Y., but the forecast of inclement weather moved the action to Rafferty Stadium for an 11 a.m. outing. The Stags will now resume their road slate next Saturday, Feb. 28, with a noon trip to Stony Brook.

Molloy’s Five Goals Leads Brown Over Quinnipiac, 17-6

Providence, R.I. –  Sophomore attackman Dylan Molloy (Setauket, NY) scored five goals and junior goalie Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) made 15 saves to lead Brown to a 17-6 season opening win over Quinnipiac at snowy Stevenson Field Saturday afternoon. The game was originally scheduled for Sunday but changed

“This has been our plan all along. To play fast with a furious attack,” said Brown head coach Lars Tiffany.

Molloy scored five goals in the games opening 45 minutes, helping the Bears build a 13-3 lead after three quarters.

Senior attackman Nick Piroli (Black River, NY) had two goals and two assists for the Bears, while junior attackman Kylor Bellistri (Potomac, MD) and sophomore defenseman Larkin Kemp (Greenwich, CT) also scored two goals.

Kelly was superb in Brown’s season debut, making his 15 saves in just over three quarters of play, exiting early in the fourth quarter.

The Bears were also buoyed by the play of junior face-off specialist Will Gural (Haverford, PA), who captured 14-of-18 face-offs.

The Bobcats were paced by Brian Feldman, who netted two second half goals.  Jack Brust made 16 saves in goal for Quinnipiac.

Brown led from start to finish, scoring just 17 seconds into the game when junior attackman Henry Blynn (Villanova, PA) scored his first goal since the 2013 season after missing all of last season due to injury.

Molloy’s first goal of the game gave the Bears a 4-1 lead with 11:33 left in the second quarter, but Quinnipiac answered with a goal by Nate Nibbelink to pull to within 4-2 just 50 seconds later.

The Bears held Quinnipiac to just one goal for the next 24 minutes, grabbing a 9-3 lead at the half and a13-3 advantage after three quarters.  When Piroli and Kemp scored early in the fourth quarter, Brown’s lead had mushroomed to 15-3 left 10:44 left in the game.

Brown is back in action again next Saturday, February 28, traveling to Amherst, Mass. to battle New England rival UMass.  Face-off is 1pm at Garber Field.