Fairfield University Men’s Lacrosse Surges Past Host Providence, 10-6

Eight players score goals in the Stags’ first win of 2015

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team scored six unanswered goals in the third quarter to power past host Providence, 10-6, on Wednesday afternoon. Eight Stags scored in the club’s first win of 2015, including two goals apiece from Dave Fleming and Tristan Sperry.

The Stags’ (1-1) six-goal run broke a 4-4 tie as the defense kept Providence off the board for more than 20 minutes of game time spanning the third and fourth quarters.

In addition to a pair of markers for Fleming and Sperry, Joe Rodrigues, Bryan Barry, Charlie Schnider, Colin McLinden, Drew Murray and Drew Federico all scored for the Stags. McLinden also dealt a pair of assists as a part of a three-point day.

With his performance today, McLinden moves into a tie for 10th place all-time at Fairfield with 111 career points.

An assist for Sperry capped his three-point performance, with assists also coming from Schnider and Murray.

The goals from Rodrigues and Murray were the first of their respective collegiate careers, and Schnider’s tally was his first as a Stag after netting three goals for Ohio State from 2013-14.

Will Fox turned in a strong showing in the faceoff ‘X’, winning 12 of his 16 attempts and scooping up six ground balls. Sperry picked up three ground balls, while Barry, Federico and TJ Neubauer had three apiece.

Defensively, Brad Nordstrom earned his first collegiate victory with 10 saves. The freshman goalkeeper also snagged a pair of ground balls. Max Buchanan and Conor Barr helmed the defense and each caused two turnovers.

Providence (0-1) was led by a hat trick from Greg FitzMaurice, who also handed out an assist. Peter Badgley made 15 saves for the hosts.

The Friars claimed the first two goals of the afternoon, but the Stags quickly answered to knot the contest at 2-2. Rodrigues put Fairfield on the board with his first career goal – a man-up tally assisted by Sperry – and Barry found the back of the net off a feed from Murray round out the first-quarter scoring.

In the second frame, Providence once again started the scoring with a man-up goal less than two minutes into the quarter. Once again, the Stags provided a quick response in the form of Schnider’s unassisted goal to tie the contest at 3-3. The final of the half staked Fairfield to its first lead of the contest as Fleming banged home a pass from McLinden to send the Stags into the locker room with a 4-3 edge.

After the Friars tied the score just 67 seconds into the third quarter, the Stags broke the game open with six unanswered goals to cap the stanza. Sperry scored twice during the stretch, which also included goals from McLinden, Fleming, Murray and Federico.

Fairfield’s 10-4 advantage held deep into the fourth quarter, as the Stags kept Providence off the board for a total of 20:47 of clock time. The Friars ended the drought with 6:54 to play and tacked on another goal in the final 90 seconds of action, but the lead proved insurmountable as the Stags claimed a 10-6 road triumph.

The Stags outshot the Friars, 42-25, and held a 31-23 advantage in ground balls. Fairfield won 13-of-19 total faceoffs and committed 10 turnovers while forcing 16 Providence miscues.

The Stags’ five-game road swing continues on Saturday, Feb. 21 with a trip to Manhattan. The contest from Gaelic Park in Riverdale, N.Y. begins at 5 p.m. Fairfield will also trek to Stony Brook, Yale and Bucknell before returning to the turf of Rafferty Stadium on Saturday, March 14 for a clash with Colgate.