Division II Weekend Roundup, March 31st

#1 Le Moyne Tops St. Anselm’s Men’s Lacrosse, 18-5

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Junior Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) and senior Jake Mallinson (Middletown, R.I.) each tallied two points, but the Saint Anselm men’s lacrosse team was handed an 18-5 loss by top-ranked Le Moyne College on Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.

The Hawks drop to 2-5 on the season, including 1-3 in Northeast-10 play, while the Dolphins remain perfect at 9-0, 6-0 NE-10.

Kennedy scored two goals, while Mallinson recorded a goal and an assist.

Kennedy staked the Hawks to a 1-0 lead just 3:15 into the first quarter when he received a pass from junior James Peters (Medway, Mass.) and fired it into the back of the net. Kevin Kelly answered 1:28 later to tie the game with 7:17 left, but freshman Mark Vitello (Weymouth, Mass.) scored just 15 seconds later to put Saint Anselm back in front, 2-1.

That would be the last lead the Hawks would hold, however, as Andrew Chadderdon scored with 6:03 to play in the opening frame to set off a 14-0 outburst that spanned parts of three quarters and gave the Dolphins a 15-2 lead with 9:22 to go in the third quarter. Chadderdon registered five goals and an assist during the run, while Mike Jenkins (2-3-5), Chris Button (3-0-3) and Kelly (2-1-3) also played prominent roles during the stretch.

Kennedy snapped the barrage with his second of the day with 5:46 left in the third quarter, but Le Moyne closed the third-quarter scoring and opened the fourth-quarter scoring to push its advantage to 17-3.

Mallinson buried his first of the day with 6:11 left in the contest and then set up the first of the afternoon for senior Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) 30 seconds later to cut it to 17-5. The Dolphins added one more tally with 44 seconds left to cap the scoring.

Sophomore goalkeeper James O’Neill (East Walpole, Mass.) made eight saves in the first 50:25 of action, while senior Daniel Endicott (Malden, Mass.) stopped one of the two shots he faced over the final 9:35. For Le Moyne, Pat Brothers turned away 3 of 5 shots playing the entire first half, Ben Romagnoli made nine saves on 11 shots in the next 23:49 and Tim Birchler stopped two of the three shots he faced over the last 6:11.

Le Moyne outshot Saint Anselm, 48-38, including 16-6 in the second frame, and also held a slight 14-13 edge in faceoffs won.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, April 2 at 7 p.m. as they make the short trip across town to take on Southern New Hampshire University under the lights at Larkin Field.


Brigham’s Hat Trick Helps Bentley Win 2nd Straight, 12-6 over Pace

WALTHAM, Mass. – Sophomore attack Matt Brigham (Portsmouth, R.I./Portsmouth Abbey) scored a hat trick, helping the Bentley men’s lacrosse team to its second straight win, 12-6 over Pace on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Bentley never trailed on its way to improving its Northeast-10 record to 3-1 and its overall record to 3-3. Junior attack Cutler Dimond (Marblehead, Mass./Tabor Academy), midfielder Steve Caditz (Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) and freshman John Wheeler (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) each had two goals to help power the Falcon offense.

First quarter goals by junior Brendan Murphy (Wilmington, Mass./Middlesex School) and Wheeler staked Bentley to a 2-0 lead after 15 minutes. Pace got the only goal of the second quarter from senior Tommy Gilmore to cut the Falcon lead to 2-1 at halftime.

As the rain picked up at the start of the second half, so did the offense as the teams combined for eight goals, with Bentley scoring five of them. Brigham scored his three goals in the third quarter alone, and Caditz and Wheeler also were on target in the third.

Caditz added to Bentley’s lead with his second of the afternoon at the 12:35 mark of the fourth quarter, extending their lead to 8-4. Pace got to within three goals with a strike from junior attack Adam Mirkin with 10:23 to play.

But the Falcons answered and pushed their advantage to five at 10-5 with the next two goals. Those goals came from junior Bobby Hinds (West Hartford, Conn./Conard) and Caditz.

Bentley will look for its third straight victory on Tuesday when they visit Saint Michael’s.


St. Anselm’s Women’s Lacrosse Betters Record to 7-0 with 15-6 Win at Merrimack

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Sophomore Caitlin Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) registered a career-high eight points and junior Marissa Daly (Marshfield, Mass.) notched six goals to lead the Saint Anselm College women’s lacrosse team to Saturday afternoon’s 15-6 victory against Merrimack College at Martone-Mejail Field.

The Hawks run their program-record best start to 7-0, including 4-0 in Northeast-10 play, while the Warriors sink to 2-7, 1-5 NE-10.

Villareal matched her career best with five goals to go along with three assists.

Merrimack grabbed the lead, 1-0, 10:53 into the contest on an Aubrie Stouffer free-position goal. It marked just the third time Saint Anselm had trailed all season and the Warriors became just the second team in seven games to hold a lead over the Hawks.

Saint Anselm did not take long to respond, however, as junior Kelly Pickett (Chelmsford, Mass.), who matched a career high with three assists, set up Villareal to knot the game just 14 seconds later at 18:53. Pickett again took on the role of playmaker less than a minute later as she fed Daly for a strike at 17:58 that gave the Hawks a 2-1 lead.

Merrimack answered back as Stouffer connected with Kelly Metzger to tie the game at 2-all with 14:24 remaining in the opening half, but Saint Anselm closed the frame on a 4-0 run over the final 5:40 to take a 6-2 lead into the break. Junior Kaitlyn Stazinski (Pembroke, Mass.) put the Hawks in front for good, while Villareal followed with her own unassisted tally to stretch the lead to 4-2 with 1:32 left. A free-position strike from sophomore Erin Marshall (Woburn, Mass.) with 22 ticks left and a Daly-from-Villareal connection with nine seconds on the clock ended the first-half scoring.

Stouffer found Metzger 1:27 into the second half to pull the Warriors within three, but Daly answered that and another Merrimack score to make it 8-4 with 22:45 to play. Villareal struck again under a minute later, but Stouffer potted her second of the day just over a minute-and-a-half later to keep Merrimack close at 9-5 with 19:31 remaining.

Nearly six minutes later, the Hawks put it away with a 6-0 barrage that featured two goals apiece from Villareal, Marshall and Daly to make it 15-5 with 1:42 to go. Merrimack tacked on one more with five seconds left to close the scoring.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jane Bunn (St. John’s, Fla.) stopped 6 of 11 shots over the first 52:13 of action, while junior Allee Ramzi (Cumberland, R.I.) turned away one of the two shots she faced in the final 7:47. Inna Hedden made seven saves for Merrimack.

Saint Anselm held a 27-17 advantage in shots, including 17-8 in the second half, and also held a slim 12-11 edge in draw controls. The Hawks were 3-for-7 on their free-position chances, while the Warriors went 1-for-5.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, April 2 at 4 p.m. when they play host to Franklin Pierce University at Grappone Stadium.

No. 7 New Haven Holds Off Bentley Rally, Escapes 9-8

WALTHAM, Mass. – Bentley scored the last three goals of the game and had the final possession with a chance to tie in the final seconds, but No. 7 New Haven escaped to win 9-8 and remain unbeaten in Northeast-10 women’s lacrosse play Saturday afternoon.

Bentley trailed 9-5 after New Haven midfielder Kathryn Campbell scored with 11:28 remaining. Over four minutes later, Falcons midfielder Carolyn Kynoch (Ashland, Mass./Ashland) netted a man-up goal to get them to within 9-6 and begin the rally.

After a period of nearly five minutes without a goal for either team, Bentley used two goals in a span of 14 seconds to cut the deficit to just 9-8. Sophomore Meredith Hart (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) scored a man-up goal at the 2:49 mark after a New Haven yellow card.

Bentley’s Hannah Lindgren (Southborough, Mass./Algonquin Regional) then won the ensuing draw control, raced down the field and played a pass off to Amy Ernst (Long Valley, N.J./West Morris Central), who buried her shot with 2:35 left to make it 9-8.

New Haven had a shot saved by Bentley goalie Ally Dorman (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury) on its next possession, and the Falcons cleared it with 1:12 left to set up their final possession. However, they only got one shot off that went wide, and New Haven picked up the ground ball to retake possession with 28 seconds left. They cleared it and were able to run out the clock to hang on for the victory.

Bentley drops to 2-6 on the season and 1-3 in the NE-10, while the Chargers improve to 8-0 and 4-0 in the NE-10. The Falcons are back in action on Wednesday afternoon when they host AIC for a 4:00 pm start.

Photo courtesy Gil Talbot