Lasell 6, Mount Ida 4 – Mustangs Nipped by Rival Lasers in Defensive Tussle

NEWTON, Mass. – Mount Ida’s defensive core and goalie Kyle Cordaro (Worcester, Mass.) put forth a strong effort against Lasell College on Wednesday afternoon, but the Lasers were equally tough to score against, and the Mustangs fell 6-4 to their Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) rivals.

Cordaro made 15 saves, many of them on difficult shots, and J.T. Hoyt (Westfield, Mass.) scored twice, including the opening goal of the game, as Mount Ida took a 2-0 lead, only to see Lasell score six of the next seven goals.

Freshmen Jon Berry (Chichester, N.H.) and Peter Hardy (Tyngsboro, Mass.) added a goal and an assist apiece for Mount Ida, who suffer their first conference loss of the year (3-1), while dropping to 5-4 overall.

Pat Egan (Glen Rock, N.J.) and Andrew Suh (Colchester, Conn.) each scored twice for the Lasers and added an assist apiece, while David Walen (Longmeadow, Mass.) made 11 stops to earn the victory, having now won all four of his starts for Lasell (4-3, 3-0 GNAC).

Hoyt gave the Mustangs the lead with just fifteen seconds left in the first quarter, and Berry doubled the advantage with 9:27 left in the half, taking a pass from senior Zach Rosen (East Greenwich, R.I.).

Suh got the Lasers on the board just two minutes later, and with 5:12 left in the first, Egan notched his first goal of the day, tying the game at two, which is how the teams went to the break.

Egan gave the hosts the lead three minutes into the second half, but Hardy tied the game again for Mount Ida with an unassisted goal the next trip down the field.

The Lasers grabbed their first two-goal advantage with 7:30 minutes left when Joe Cunning (Newton, Mass.) and Suh netted just five seconds apart, with Suh’s goal coming off the draw and a pass from Casey Sullivan (Waterford, Conn.).

Lasell had an 8-5 edge in face-off wins, with Chase Swift (Branford, Conn.) going 7-11 from the dot for the Lasers, and Erik Berman (Montclair, N.J.) taking all of Mount Ida’s draws.

The Mustangs had a 30-27 edge in ground balls, with five from Berman and three from senior Corey Gelbstein (Greenwich, Conn.), who had two caused turnovers for Mount Ida, as did Chaz Strom (North Grafton, Mass.) and Greg Polish (Bow, N.H.)

Suh had four ground balls and Mike Pino grabbed three ground balls and caused four turnovers for Lasell, who also had a slim 35-32 edge in shots.

Aaron Laporte (Gorham, Maine) extended the Laser’s lead to three goals with a tally from Suh with 11:59 left in regulation, and though Hardy fed Hoyt for his second goal of the game under the three minute mark, Mount Ida was unable to find enough offense to complete the comeback.

Mount Ida will return to the confines of Alumni Field for their next two games, starting with a visit from GNAC foe Albertus Magnus on Saturday at 2:30 pm.

The Lasers venture outside of the conference this weekend when they host Gordon at 2:30 pm before getting the Falcons themselves in New Haven on April 2nd.