Division I Roundup: March 10th

Gambitsky, Offense Roll as Harvard Men’s Lacrosse Picks Up 15-7 Win at Georgetown
The Crimson offense and defense were on display in win at Georgetown.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men’s lacrosse team picked up its second straight win with a 15-7 victory at Georgetown Saturday afternoon.

Harvard exploded in the second quarter, outscoring Georgetown 7-0 to open a 10-2 halftime lead and all but put the game out of reach. Ian Ardrey scored all three of his goals during the stretch as Jake Gambitsky turned away six shots en route to a career-high 18 saves on the day. Ardrey, Peter Schwartz and Will Walker each recorded a hat trick with Devin Dwyer notching five assists in his first action of the year.

The Crimson improves to 3-2 with the win, its first on the road. Gambitsky’s 18 saves were the most for a Harvard goalkeeper since Harry Krieger ’13 made 19 on March 29, 2011 against UMass.


Harvard Highlights:

  • Harvard picked up its second straight win to improve to 3-2, its first on the road.
  • Jake Gambitsky made a career-high 18 saves, the most by a member of the Crimson since Harry Krieger ’13 made 19 on March 29, 2011 against UMass.
  • Peter Schwartz (3g, 2a) and Devin Dwyer (5a) finished with a game-high five points.
  • Ian Ardrey and Will Walker also scored three goals, with Ardrey adding one assist for four total points.
  • Nine different Crimson scored at least one goal.
  • Harvard was 1-of-1 on the man-advantage while holding Georgetown to a 1-of-6 performance.

Game Notes:

  • Jake Gambitsky made a career-high 18 saves, the most by a member of the Crimson since Harry Krieger ’13 made 19 on March 29, 2011 against UMass, and has registered double-digit saves in four of five contests this year.
  • Peter Schwartz matched his career-high with five points (3g, 2a) and extended his point scoring streak to six games dating back to last season.
  • Will Walker recorded his second hat trick of the year and has scored at least two goals in each of the Crimson’s last four games.
  • Ian Ardrey matched his career-high with four points (3g, 1a) for his first hat trick of the year.
  • Devin Dwyer set career-highs with five assists and five ground balls after returning from injury.
  • Harvard earned its first win ever at Georgetown and improved to 3-3 all-time against the Hoyas.

Game Progression:

  • Harvard opened a 2-0 lead to begin the game and was in front 3-2 after the first quarter.
  • Harvard exploded for seven goals in the second quarter for a 10-2 halftime lead.
  • The teams were even in scoring in both the third and fourth quarter as Harvard took the victory, 15-7.

Ties: One
Lead Changes: Zero
Largest Leads: Harvard by 10 – 3rd: 12:51

Up Next:
Harvard will begin Ivy League play next week as it hosts Brown on Saturday, March 15. All of the action from Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium can be seen live on the Ivy League Digital Network, with first faceoff scheduled for 7 p.m.

Photo courtesy Gil Talbot

Fairfield University Men’s Lacrosse Tops No. 10 Yale 12-11 in Overtime

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Senior Eric Warden (Glen Mills, Pa.) ripped a shot past Eric Natale with 1:26 left in overtime to send the Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team off with a 12-11 victory over No. 10 Yale University this afternoon in front of 1,143 fans at Alumni Field. It was Fairfield’s first-ever victory over Yale in eight meetings.

Warden’s overtime tally was his third of the game with his game-winner coming off a pass from junior Colin McLinden (Madison, N.J.). For McLinden, he finished the day with a career-high six assists and a goal for seven points, also a career-best. In addition, McLinden brought his career assist total to 49 which is good for eighth all-time at Fairfield.


Fairfield (3-2) never trailed against Yale (2-1). Sophomore TJ Neubauer (Glen Arm, Md.) scored just 16 seconds into the game to give the Stags the early lead. Neubauer struck again at the 10-minute mark, putting home a pass from Alex Cramer (Annapolis, Md.) to make it 2-0. Yale’s Shane Thornton netted back-to-back goals in a minute-span to tie the game with 6:07 left in the quarter. Conor Dalton (Ellicott City, Md.) broke the stalemate at 4:31 while rookie Jake Knostman (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) made it 4-2 at 3:20. The Bulldogs’ Conrad Oberbeck made it a one-goal game with 29 seconds remaining in the period.

The Stags and the Bulldogs went goal-for-goal in the second quarter, but a tally by Knostman at 1:29 sent Fairfield into the locker room with a 7-5 advantage.

Fairfield got the scoring started in the third quarter as McLinden found Warden 48 seconds into the stanza. Oberbeck answered with a goal of his own seven seconds later and followed that up with a goal at 10:35 to pull Yale within 8-7. The Stags posted three unanswered goals on strikes by Dave Fleming (San Carlos, Calif.), McLinden, and Cramer over the next five minutes. Yale gained momentum at the end of the quarter, netting two goals in the final three minutes to pull within 11-9.

With 7:35 remaining in regulation, Yale’s Colin Flaherty found the back of the net to make it a one-goal game. Just three minutes later, Mark Glicini scored to tie the game. Both teams had their chances late but couldn’t capitalize and headed to overtime knotted at 11-11.

Senior Jack Murphy (Cohasset, Mass.) made nine saves and caused two turnovers while Natale posted five saves for Yale.

Fairfield won 13 of 27 face-offs on the day with Michael Roe (Lutherville, Md.) winning seven and Louie DiGiacomo (Norwalk, Conn.) winning the other six. Roe also had three groundballs. Dylan Levings won all 14 for Yale with seven groundballs. The Stags held a 28-26 advantage in groundballs with junior Max Buchanan (Wyckoff, N.J.) posting a career-high five groundballs.

Fairfield returns to action on March 15 when they host Stony Brook at 1pm on Alumni Field.

Photo courtesy Inside Lacrosse: Bill Danielewski


Molloy’s Three Goals Leads Brown Laxers Over Hobart, 13-10

Hempstead, N.Y. – Freshman Dylan Molloy (Setauket, NY) scored three goals to lead the Brown men’s lacrosse team to a 13-10 win over Hobart Saturday afternoon in a game played at Hofstra.  Brown improves to 3-1 on the young season while Hobart falls to 0-5.

Molloy’s three goals came on seven shots, while he also picked-up a game high seven ground balls.  Sophomore Brendan Caputo (Westbury, NY) had two goals and an assist for the Bears, while junior Tyler Landis (Coppell, TX) also netted two goals.

Sophomore Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) was brilliant once again in goal for the Bears with 10 saves.

Brown junior Jordan Schocket (Plano, TX) captured 19-of-23 face-offs to give the Bears a 20-27 overall advantage in the face-off x.  The Bears also had a decided 47-25 advantage in ground balls.

Jake Henry led the Statesmen with four goals.  Hobart goalie peter Zonino came up with 12 saves.

Brown fell behind early, 3-1, with 7:05 left in the opening quarter.  The Bears answered by scoring five of the game’s next six goals to pull ahead, 6-4, with 8:39 left in the second quarter on sophomore Will Gural’s (Haverford, PA) first career goal.  Molloy, freshman Larken Kemp (Greenwich, CT), sophomore Bailey Tills (Denver, CO) and JJ Ntshaykolo (San Francisco, CA) also scored goals for the Bears in the 5-1 spurt.

A goal by Hobart’s Max Romm followed by a goal by Brown’s Landis gave the Bears a 7-5 lead at intermission.

The Bears broke the game open in the third quarter by scoring four of the next five goals to lead, 11-6, again with four different Brown players scoring – Schochet, senior Sam Hurster (St. Louis, MO), Molloy and Landis.

Brown returns to action for its Ivy League opener next Saturday, March 15, traveling to Boston, MA to play Harvard.  Game time is 7pm at Harvard Stadium.

Richmond Holds Off Vermont 12-11 in Men’s Lacrosse

DURHAM, N.C. – Vermont outscored Richmond 5-1 in the final period, but the Spiders held on for a 12-11 victory over the Catamounts in a men’s lacrosse neutral site game on Saturday at Durham County Stadium. Vermont moves to 3-3 on the year, while Richmond improves to 1-5 overall.

Sophomore Patrick Clark and freshman Michael Clarke each picked up two goals and three assists for Vermont to collect a team-high five points. Senior Graham Horvath added three goals and freshman Ian MacKay picked up a goal and an assist.

Brad Burnham of Richmond led all scorers with six points on three goals and three assists. J.P. Forester, Dan Ginestro and Cory Palmer each chipped in with two goals apiece.

Richmond jumped out to a 2-0 lead at the midway mark of the first period before Vermont responded with two straight scores. Clark picked up the first Catamount goal with 2:47 left in the quarter, and Horvath added a goal at the 1:28 mark to knot the score up at 2-2.

The Spiders collected the first six goals of the second period to jump out to an advantage. J.P. Forester registered two scores during the stretch, as Richmond opened an 8-2 lead late in the stanza.

Horvath put an end to the Richmond run with his second goal of the game with 2:18 to play. Brad Burnham tallied the final goal of the period to send Richmond into halftime with a 9-3 advantage.

Vermont outscored Richmond 3-2 in the third period behind goals from three different scorers. Horvath picked up his third score early in the quarter and John Everett followed with another UVM goal just 47 seconds later, as Vermont cut its deficit to 9-5.

After two goals from Richmond within a two-minute span, Clarke answered back for the Catamounts with his first tally of the contest. Vermont headed into the final period trailing by a score of 11-6.

The Catamounts were able to climb to within one goal after scoring four straight to open the final stanza. Nick Bartlett opened with a tally just 30 seconds into the period, and Clarke followed with second of the contest just over a minute later. Blake Pendleton added a goal with 10:57 remaining, and Ian MacKay cut UVM’s deficit to 11-10 with his first score of the game with 4:05 to play.

Dan Ginestro pushed Richmond’s lead to 12-10 with 1:29 remaining before Clark answered back with 53 seconds on the clock to pull UVM back within one. Richmond was able to hold on for the final 53 seconds to close out its 12-11 victory.

Sophomore Justin Rosenberg made 10 saves in his sixth straight start in the cage for the Catamounts. Rosenberg now has five straight double-digit save performances. Benny Pugh stopped 12 shots in the Richmond cage for his first career victory. Vermont held a 47-31 shot advantage and went 2-3 on extra man opportunities in the contest.

The Catamounts travel to Wagner for a matchup with the Seahawks on Saturday (March 15) at 1 p.m.

No. 9 Minutemen Suffer First Loss Of The Season To No. 18 Albany
Great Danes defeat Massachusetts at Garber Field, 25-10

AMHERST, Mass. – No. 9/10 nationally ranked Massachusetts men’s lacrosse was unable to limit the No. 18/17 University of Albany attack at Garber Field on Saturday afternoon as the Minutemen fell to the Great Danes, 25-10. Seniors Connor Mooney and Matt Whippen scored a pair of goals each to lead UMass while classmate Joe Calvello won 22 faceoffs and scooped up a dozen groundballs.

“Albany came ready to play today,” UMass head coach Greg Cannella said. “They took advantage of early opportunities against us.”

With his performance at the faceoff X, Calvello became the first Minutemen to win more than 20 faceoffs in one contest since Jake Deane went 20-for-25 against Hofstra in the NCAA Tournament on May 20, 2006. Calvello’s groundball total put him only one away from tying the single-game program record, a mark he previously equaled this season when he picked up 13 against Ohio State on Feb. 16.

Whippen added an assist for three points on the game. In addition to Mooney, three more Minutemen added multi-point games. Grant Consoletti and Nick Mariano earned a goal and assist each while Ryan Curley facilitated two more UMass tallies for his first two collegiate points.

Joe Romano and Paul Spinney had a goal apiece – the first of their careers. Jeff George and Robert Lynott also scored for the Minutemen.

Lyle Thompson led Albany with 11 points on four goals and seven assist. His brother, Miles Thompson, had a game-high six goals to go with one assist. Ty Thompson, a cousin of Lyle and Miles, recorded five goals while John Maloney provided five points on four tallies and one helper.

Blaze Riorden made 18 saves in the cage for Albany to keep the Minutemen from a rally attempt after the squad fell behind, 7-2 at the end of the first quarter. The Great Danes scored the opening four goals of the game before Whippen broke the streak unassisted with nine minutes, 13 seconds left in the opening frame.

Miles Thompson found the back of the net to make it 5-1 Great Danes but Mariano earned his 15th goal of the season following a pass from Consoletti to pull the Minutemen within 5-2.

However, Albany (2-2 overall) notched eight consecutive goals to push its lead to 13-2, capped by a Lyle Thompson tally with 6:04 left in the second. The Minutemen halted the run with back-to-back strikes from Whippen and George in a span of 39 seconds, but Albany added two more in the second to head to halftime leading 16-4.

The Minutemen (4-1) did not slow down the Albany attack enough during the final half to move closer than within 11 goals after Lynott put a shot by Riorden with 12:16 to play in the third. Following Lynott’s tally, Albany added four consecutive goals to push the lead to 20-5.

The Minutemen led in shots, 53-45 due to a 32-13 edge in the category following the halftime break. Massachusetts also scooped up more groundballs, 31-25 while winning 24-of-37 faceoffs. UMass finished 9-for-10 on clears while forcing the Great Danes into six failed clears over 25 attempts.

JD Colarusso relieved Riorden in net for Albany and played 10:15 with four saves and two goals allowed. Zach Oliveri started in the cage for UMass, made seven saves and allowed 24 goals. Reed Goodhue rotated in for Oliveri during the fourth quarter and allowed the final Albany tally.

Massachusetts men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for its next contest, a Tuesday, March 11 meeting with Providence (3-2) at 3 p.m.

Holy Cross Men’s Lacrosse Falls 13-3 To #20 Army

WEST POINT, N.Y. – Army’s John Glesener netted a hat trick as the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 20 Army, 13-3, on Saturday afternoon at Michie Stadium in West Point, N.Y. in Patriot League action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 1-5 overall (0-3 PL), while the Black Knights advance to 4-2 overall (2-0 PL).

Army came out in the game by outscoring the Crusaders 3-0 in the first quarter. The Crusaders made their way onto the scoreboard with 13:01 remaining in the second quarter. Freshman Marc Buermann (West Caldwell, N.J.) netted his fifth goal of the season unassisted to make the score 3-1. With 3:25 remaining in the first half Army’s Cole Johnson tacked on the fourth goal for Army of the game. During the first half the Black Knights had two extra-man opportunities, but did not score on either.

The Black Knights scored another three goals to start off the third quarter in just over three minutes to make the score 7-1. Army followed up those three with another four to take an 11-1 lead. Junior captain Terry McKenna (Summit, N.J.) brought the Crusaders back onto the scoreboard after the eight-goal run by Army. The Black Knights tacked on two more to bring the Army lead to 13-2. Holy Cross’ junior Jack Spencer (Garden City, N.Y.) added the last goal of the game with 6:55 remaining in the contest to make the final score 13-3.

Crusader sophomore goalie Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) posted six saves during the game, while sophomore Chris Cousin (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) posted two saves. Army’s Sam Somers posted 10 and their second goalie, Bobby Sincero, posted two. Army outshot Holy Cross, 51-31. The Crusaders won 11 of the 19 faceoffs during the game, but Army controlled the ground game picking up 26 ground balls compared to the 20 by the Crusaders. Freshman Ben Williams (Prior Lake, Minn.) won 11 of 17 faceoffs for the Crusaders.

The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, March 15, when they play a home game versus Patriot League Bucknell at Holy Cross Field in Worcester, Mass. for a 12:00 p.m. contest.