Weekend Roundup: Division I

Malloy’s Four Goals Leads Brown Over Quinnipiac, 12-6, In Season Opener

Hamden, CT – Freshman attackman Dylan Malloy (Setauket, NY) scored four goals in his collegiate debut, and sophomore goalie Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) made 18 saves, to lift Brown (1-0) to a 13-6 season opening win over Quinnipiac (0-1) Saturday afternoon.

Malloy’s four goals came on seven shots. Junior Tim Jacob (Palo Alto, CA) also had a big game for the Bears with three goals, while senior Sam Hurster (St. Louis, MO) scored a goal and distributed four assists. Sophomores Kylor Bellistri (Potomac, MD) and Baily Tills (Denver, CO) scored two goals each.  Senior Tom Capone (Watertown, NY) won nine face-offs and picked up six ground balls.

Kelly got the starting nod in the Brown goal and responded with 18 saves, including 10 in the first half.

The Bobcats were led by Ryan Keenan, who netted two goals.

Brown opened up a 2-0 first quarter lead with Malloy christening the season by scoring his first career goal, followed by a Bellistri goal late in the quarter for the two goal Brown advantage.

The Bobcats got their offense going with two straight goals to open the second quarter, tying the score, 2-2, on Evan Weldon’s goal at 10:53.

Sophomore Brendan Caputo (Westbury, NY) put the Bears back on top for good, 3-2, with 3:35 left in the half on a pass from sophomore Tills.  The Bears kept the pressure on Quinnipiac and grabbed a 4-2 lead at the half on Hurster’s goal with just 42 seconds left.

Head coach Lars Tiffany’s team broke the game open in the third quarter, scoring four more unanswered goals to grab an 8-2 lead on two goals each by Malloy and Jacob.

Three Quinnipiac goals in the span of 44 seconds got the Wildcats back in the game, 8-5, with 2:12 left in the quarter.

Tills scored for the Bears with 53 seconds left in the quarter to put the Bears back up by four goals, 9-5, heading into the final quarter.

Fourth quarter goals by Bellistri, Jacob and Malloy lifted the Bears to a 12-5 advantage, while Tills finished up the scoring for the Bears with a late goal.

Brown hosts UMass in its home opener on Saturday, March 1 at Stevenson Field, starting at 1:00 pm.

Late Surge Pushes No. 14/15 UMass Past Harvard Men’s Lacrosse, 8-4

AMHERST, Mass. –The Harvard men’s lacrosse team played right with No. 14/15 UMass through nearly three quarters on Saturday, but the Minutemen took hold of the game late to spoil the Crimson’s season opener, 8-4.

Peter Schwartz registered three points with two goals and one assist to lead the Harvard (0-1) attack while Brendan Newman and Ian Ardrey provided one goal piece. Sean Mahon and Sean McDonagh were each credited with an assist.

The Crimson defense held UMass (3-0) in check for most of the game, allowing just three Minutemen goals through 42 minutes of play. Jake Gambitsky finished the afternoon with 11 saves against the eight goals allowed, with Eric Slingerland’s five ground balls pacing the defensive unit. Jack Breit, Bobby Duvnjak, Stephen Jahelka and Brian O’Toole each forced one turnover.

UMass controlled the pace of play by winning 11-of-16 faceoffs and holding a 27-13 advantage in ground balls. Nick Mariano spearheaded the Minutemen attack with three goals scored and was complemented by a three-point performance by Grant Whiteway (1g, 2a). Zach Oliveri made 14 saves in goal for UMass.

UMass took the early 1-0 advantage as Connor Mooney scooped up a rebound and put one past Gambitsky just 1:28 in. Schwartz evened the game with a shot from 15 yards out, and Harvard looked to take its first lead late in the quarter. Murphy Vandervelde’s shot from the right of the goal was saved by Oliveri, however, and the Minutemen capitalized in transition with a tally from defenseman James Fahey to take a 2-1 edge.

Mariano used an inside roll to evade Joe Petrucci and notch UMass’ third goal of the day early in the second quarter. Brandan Newman cut the deficit to 3-2 off a feed from Sean McDonagh, burying a shot from the top of the box. Harvard nearly capitalized on a Matt Whippen turnover to re-tie the score, but Daniel Eipp’s shot was handled by Oliveri, giving possession back to the Minutemen. The Crimson had another opportunity to even things up after Gambitsky turned away an attempt by Andrew Sokol, and this time Ardrey came through. The sophomore received a pass from Schwartz just in front of the goal, and tiptoed along the crease to beat Oliveri over his left shoulder knot things up, 3-3.

The Minutemen won 7-of-8 faceoffs through the first 30 minutes of play and collected 14 ground balls despite holding just a 16-15 advantage in shots.

Harvard’s defense stood tall early in the third quarter, with O’Toole forcing a turnover and Gambitsky making a clean save on a Grant Consoletti attempt. The Crimson was later able to kill a Brian Fischer slashing penalty thanks to another Gambitsky save, and a fourth save by the junior off a failed clear attempt by the Crimson kept the Minutemen off the scoreboard. UMass finally broke through, however, when Mariano was able to pick up the rebound off a Mooney shot attempt in front of the crease. The Minutemen took a two-goal lead, 5-3, capitalizing off a Harvard turnover before the quarter break.

UMass tacked on two more goals quickly in the fourth, taking a 7-3 margin with 13:49 remaining. Schwartz got one of the goals back with his second tally of the day, but Mariano answered right back to regain the four-goal advantage. The Crimson had four shots turned away by Oliveri following the Mariano goal, and was unable to close the gap late as the Minutemen held on for the 8-4 victory.

Harvard returns to action Tuesday, Feb. 25 when it opens its home slate against Holy Cross at Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium.

Minuteman Defense Stymies Harvard In 8-4 Victory
Men’s lacrosse opens 2014 home slate with hard-fought win over Crimson

AMHERST, Mass. – Spurred on by second-half offense and a stifling defensive performance, No. 14/15 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse defeated Harvard in the home-opener for the Minutemen, 8-4 at Garber Field on Saturday afternoon. Attackman Nick Mariano earned his second consecutive hat trick as the freshman led both sides with three goals against the Crimson.

Grant Whiteway also earned three points alongside Mariano as the Billerica, Mass., native tallied two assists and one goal. Grant Consoletti, James Fahey, Connor Mooney and Andrew Sokol also earned one goal apiece.

Joe Calvello won 11 of his 16 faceoffs and scooped up 10 groundballs while dishing out his first assist of the year. Vincent Travaglini rounded out the UMass scorers with a helper, his first collegiate point.

Peter Schwartz led Harvard with three points on a pair of goals and one assist. Ian Ardrey and Brendan Newman accounted for the other two Crimson marks on the game.

Zach Oliveri backstopped the UMass defense, which caused 12 turnovers, with 14 saves, including eight during the pivotal second half.

The Minutemen tallied first only 88 seconds into the contest as Mooney notched a rebound goal at the crease after Matt Whippen’s initial attempt was blocked by Harvard goalie Jake Gambitsky.

After 10 minutes, 30 seconds of even competition, Harvard answered with a strike from Schwartz; however, the Minutemen rallied in the closing seconds of the frame behind James Fahey’s long-pole goal.

The Boxford, Mass., native gained possession near the midline following an Oliveri save, dished to Whiteway five yards from the left post before Whiteway sent the play back to Fahey near the goalmouth. Fahey caught the ball in front and, in one motion, placed it into the back of the net before Gambitsky could react.

Mariano extended the Minuteman lead to 3-1 with 13:45 left in the second with his seventh goal of the season and first of the contest. However, Newman and Ardrey responded during the final five minutes of the half to knot the score at three entering the break.

The defense limited Harvard to just one more goal over the final 30 minutes while the attack provided four straight tallies that turned the tie game into a 7-3 UMass advantage.

Starting close defensemen Bob Fahey, James Fahey and Kyle Karaska accounted for five groundballs and four caused turnovers while short-stick defensive midfielders Dylan Gruder, Ryan Izzo, Brendan Schroeder and Travaglini scooped up two more loose balls and forced a trio of turnovers during the game as the Crimson offense was unable to replicate success against the UMass backline consistently. On the strength of its defense, the Minutemen finished with a sizable lead in groundballs, 27-13 while the Crimson only tallied four caused turnovers to the dozen earned by UMass.

Mariano tallied for the second time on the day to open scoring in the third quarter at the 2:09 mark. After a Whippen shot was blocked in front, Mariano raced to the bouncing ball 10 yards from the cage, scooped it up while running on-goal and deposited an off-balance attempt into the back of the net.

Consoletti stretched the lead back to a pair, 5-3 with only four seconds remaining in the third quarter. Whiteway tracked down an errant Harvard pass near the midline and fed the ball to Travaglini as he rushed up field. Travaglini found Consoletti at the left post in transition and Consoletti converted over the left shoulder of Gambitsky for his second goal of the season.

Back-to-back goals from Sokol and Whiteway in the span of six seconds pushed the home advantage to 7-3 with 13:49 to play. Sokol earned his tally with a leaping try from 15 yards away following a pass from Whiteway with 13:54 remaining in the game. After Calvello won the ensuing faceoff he dished it to Whiteway, who used a sidearm shot from distance to beat Gambitsky and make it 7-3 Minutemen.

Schwartz got his second goal of the day with 11:29 to play but Mariano responded to complete his hat trick and reach the final score, 8-4, less than two minutes later.

The game marked Calvello’s second consecutive with double-digit groundballs following his program record-tying 13 scooped up against No. 14/9 Ohio State during UMass’ 12-11 overtime victory on Feb. 16. Mooney and Austin Spencer each caused a pair of turnovers while combining for six groundballs.

The teams tied in shots attempts, 32-32 while UMass finished 14-for-15 on clears and Harvard went 19-of-21 in the category. Neither side recorded a man-up goal as the Crimson finished 0-for-3 on EMO chances while the Minutemen went 0-for-1.

The Minutemen face their second consecutive Ivy League foe next as UMass heads to Providence, R.I., to challenge Brown at 1 p.m. on March 1.


Friars Edge Catamounts in Men’s Lacrosse Home Opener

BURLINGTON, Vt. – Nick Bartlett and Graham Horvath led the Catamounts with two goals apiece, but Providence held off Vermont’s second half comeback and defeated the Catamounts 8-6 in UVM’s home opener Saturday at Virtue Field. With the win, Providence moves to 1-0, while Vermont drops to 0-2 overall.

Bartlett paced the Catamounts with a team-high three points on two goals and one assist. Horvath chipped in his first two scores of the season, and James Barlow and Andrew Buckanavage added a goal apiece. Barlow’s goal was the first of his career, while freshman Ian MacKay tallied his first career points with two assists.

Alex Corboy led all scorers with three goals, and Andrew Barton added two scores to pace the Friars. Sean Wright chipped in with a goal and an assist for Providence.

Justin Rosenberg took the loss in goal for UVM despite making a career-high 18 saves. Tyler Himes stopped nine shots in net for Providence to collect the victory.

Providence outscored Vermont 3-1 in the first period behind two goals 39 seconds apart from Corboy. The Catamounts’ lone goal of the quarter came on a man-up situation with just under five minutes remaining. Bartlett received a pass from MacKay and found the back of the net for UVM’s first goal.

The Friars tallied the only two scores of the second quarter, as Barton and Greg FitzMaurice each registered one goal to give Providence a 5-1 lead heading into halftime.

Vermont controlled the third period of play, outscoring the Friars 4-2 in the quarter. Barlow scored an unassisted goal at the 10:54 mark of the third to bring Vermont within four, 6-2. After a Providence goal, the Catamounts tallied the final three scores of the period, including one on a man-up situation. Horvath, Bartlett and Buckanavage picked up the goals for Vermont, all coming in the final 6:39 of the stanza. The Catamounts finished the third down by two scores, 7-5.

Corboy notched the first goal of the fourth quarter at the 6:01 mark to give Providence an 8-5 advantage. Horvath added his final goal of the game with just under two minutes to play to bring Vermont back within two scores. The Friars held off the late Catamount charge to earn the 8-6 victory.

Vermont held a large advantage in the faceoff circle, winning 12 of the 18 faceoffs in the contest. The Catamounts also held a 36-29 ground ball advantage, and went 2-6 on man-up opportunities.

The Catamounts have just two days off before they host Dartmouth on Tuesday (Feb. 25) at 3 p.m. at Virtue Field.

Providence College Men’s Lacrosse Tops Vermont In Season Opener, 8-6
Freshman attack Alex Corboy notched a hat trick in the victory.

BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Providence College men’s lacrosse team topped Vermont in its season opener, 8-6, on Saturday afternoon at Virtue Field. With the win, the Friars move to 1-0 on the season while the Catamounts fall to 0-2. Freshman attack Alex Corboy (College Park, Md.) led the Friars with a hat trick in his first collegiate game.

Corboy found the back of the cage with 5:57 left to play in the first quarter to tally the Friars’ first goal of the season, giving Providence a 1-0 lead. Corboy struck again on a man-up opportunity from the top of the Friars’ offensive zone, when his shot beat the Catamounts’ goalie to increase the Friars’ lead to 2-0 (5:18). Vermont’s Nick Bartlett scored for the Catamounts at the 4:44 mark to pull within one of the Friars (2-1). Sophomore midfielder Nolan Fillet (Rockville, Md.) answered and fired a feed, dished by freshman midfielder Joseph Fitzpatrick (Rockville, Md.), from the left side of the cage to tally his first goal of the season (2:38). The Friars carried a 3-1 advantage into the second quarter.

The Friars outscored the Catamounts 2-0 in the second quarter. Senior midfielder Andrew Barton (Timonium, Md.) opened play with an unassisted goal to notch his 101st career point at the 13:34 mark (4-1). Junior midfielder Greg FitzMaurice (Huntington,N.Y.)  notched Providence’s second goal of the quarter when he collected a pass from senior attack Sean Wright (Silver Spring, Md.) and buried his shot to give the Friars a 5-1 advantage headed into the break (7:32).

Barton tallied his second goal of the game at the 14:27 mark of the third quarter (6-1). With 10:54 left to play in the third, Vermont’s James Barlow notched a goal for the Catamounts (6-2). Wright buried his first goal of the season at the 9:15 mark of the quarter to give the Friars a five goal advantage (7-2). Wright handled a pass from senior Jak Wawrzyniak (Manchester, United Kingdom) and riffled a shot to the back of the cage.

Vermont answered with a 3-0 run on goals from Graham Horvath, Bartlett and Andrew Buckanavage to pull the Catamounts within two, 7-5 (00:47).The remainder of the quarter was scoreless and the Friars carried a 7-5 lead into the final 15 minutes of play.

Corboy tallied his third goal at the 6:01 mark of the fourth quarter to notch his first collegiate hat trick (8-5). Horvarth pulled the Catamounts within two goals of the Friars, 8-6, on his second goal of day, but that was as close as Vermont would get. 

In addition to Corboy’s three point performance, Barton and Wright finished with multi-point games with two points apiece.

Providence was successful on 23-of-25 clear attempts. In addition, the Friars outshot the Catamounts, 45-34, landing 26 of their shots on cage.

Senior Tyler Himes (Spring City, Pa.) earned the start in between the pipes for Providence. Himes played all 60 minutes in goal and tallied nine saves.

Providence returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 25 when the Friars host Boston University in their 2014 season home opener. The Friars and Terriers will face-off for the first time in the history of the two men’s lacrosse programs at 4:00 p.m. at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I.

Holy Cross Men’s Lacrosse Defeated By #9 Loyola (Md.), 16-4

WORCESTER, Mass. – Nikko Pontrello scored six times to lead the Greyhounds as the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 9 Loyola (Md.), 16-4, on Saturday afternoon at Holy Cross Field in the Patriot League season-opener for both teams. With the loss, the Crusaders go to 0-2 overall (0-1 PL), while the Greyhounds improve their record to 3-1 overall (1-0 PL).

Junior captain Terry McKenna (Summit, N.J.) of the Crusaders contributed with two points on two assists. McKenna assisted on the last goal for the Crusaders of the first and fourth quarters. The Greyhounds were led by Pontrello’s six goal performance totaling six points and Brian Schultz’s seven point, three goal, and four assist performance.

In the Patriot League opener for both teams, the No. 9 Loyola Greyhounds got off to a 1-0 start with an early goal from red-shirt freshman Brian Sherlock. It didn’t take long for Holy Cross to respond with a goal from its’ own freshman Marc Buermann (West Caldwell, N.J.) with 11:58 left to play in the first quarter. Early on the Crusaders went back and forth with the Greyhounds finishing the first period with a 3-2 lead, with goals goals from sophomore Sean Wilkinson (Ridgefield, Conn.) and junior Clay Haarmann (Mendham, N.J. ). The first quarter didn’t see another score for the final six plus minutes of the quarter.

The Greyhounds took control of the second quarter and went on to score six straight goals to take an 8-3 lead at halftime. Holy Cross had multiple opportunities to get back into the scoring column but were unable to find the back of the net on its 11 shots.

It took very little time for Loyola and Pontrello to pick up right where they left off from the second quarter. Pontrello scored four straight goals to take a 12-3 lead. Sherlock and Schultz of Loyola also netted goals to increase their lead to 14-3. The Crusaders were out-shot 18-5 during the quarter while the Greyhounds picked up 12 ground balls to the Crusaders’ three.

The Greyhounds got two more goals from Kevin Ryan in the fourth quarter to increase the lead to 16-3. The Crusaders scored a late goal in the fourth quarter. The goal came from Kevin Lux (Manlius, N.Y.). The goal for the freshman Lux was his first collegiate goal. The game ended with the score 16-4 and Loyola taking its first ever victory in the Patriot League.

Sophomore goalie Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) made 10 saves for the Crusaders in the first 49:46 of the game. While sophomore goalie Chris Cousin (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) posted two saves in the final 10:14 of the contest. Jack Runkel, of Loyola, made 12 saves while only letting up three goals. Loyola outshot Holy Cross 50-36 while taking the lead in groundballs as well 38-16. The faceoffs were also won by the Greyhounds with 16 of the 24 in their favor.

The Crusaders return to action on Tuesday, Feb. 25, when they play at Harvard at Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium at 4:00 p.m.

No. 19 Fairfield University Men’s Lacrosse Downs Manhattan College 18-4

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The No. 19 Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team unleashed their offense once again, pounding Manhattan College, 18-4, this afternoon in front of a capacity crowd on University Field. Freshman Jake Knostman (Bainbridge Island, Wash.), senior Eric Warden (Glen Mills, Pa.) and sophomore Conor Dalton (Ellicott City, Md.) each recorded hat tricks for the Stags who improved to 2-0 on the season.

In all, ten different Stags got in the point column. Junior Tristan Sperry (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) had two goals and three assists for five points. Junior Drew Federico (West Islip, N.Y.) had a pair of goals while Mikey Gulassey (Medina, Ohio) had two goals and an assist. Rookie Nico Panepinto (Needham, Mass.) had two assists while junior Nick Guida (Chatham, N.J.) had a goal and an assist. Sophomore TJ Neubauer (Glen Arm, Md.) and freshman Dave Fleming (San Carlos, Calif.) added one goal apiece.

Warden got the scoring started just 52 seconds into the game, ripping a shot past Rich Akapnitis. Manhattan evened it at 10:25 on a Nick Stutler goal. At the 7:11 mark, Sperry found Fleming to put the Stags ahead. It was the first of seven unanswered goals for Fairfield over the next quarter and a half.

Manhattan stopped the scoring drought at 4:13, but Knostman delivered a man-up strike in the final seconds of the second quarter to send Fairfield into the break with a 9-2 lead. Fairfield picked up where it left on in the third quarter, scoring five goals while holding the Jaspers without a tally. The Stags added four more goals in the fourth period before Manhattan would find the net again.

Senior Jack Murphy (Cohasset, Mass.) got the win after making 10 saves while allowing just two goals. Freshman Tyler Behring (Little Silver, N.J.) played the final 11:36 of the game with a save and two goals allowed. Akapnitis took the loss, allowing 14 goals while stopping six shots.

Fairfield took advantage of their extra man opportunities, scoring six goals while a man-up. The Stags found themselves a man-down twice, but did not allow a goal.

Face-off wins were even at 13 apiece. Junior Louis DiGiacomo (Norwalk, Conn.) went 6-for-12 at the X while corralling four ground balls. Freshman Jake Kaiser (Ridgefield, Conn.) was 4-for-6 with two ground balls. Freshman Jay Walsh (Duxbury, Mass.) had three ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Fairfield returns to action on February 25 when the Stags travel to Hofstra.

Photo courtesy UMass Athletics