New England Lacrosse Recap April 21st

FINAL SCORE: Vermont 8, Binghamton 7

VESTAL, N.Y. – Senior captain Drew Philie tallied four points on two goals and two assists to lead Vermont past Binghamton, 8-7, in America East men’s lacrosse action Saturday afternoon from the Bearcats Sports Complex. The win was Vermont’s first conference victory of the season, improving its record to 1-3 in America East play and 4-9 overall. Binghamton falls to 1-3 in league action and 5-8 overall following the loss.Tim Yager added two goals for the Catamounts, including the game-winning goal in the fourth period, while Patrick Clark also chipped with two scores of his own. Brandon Planck was Binghamton’s leading scorer on the day with three goals.Binghamton and Vermont finished the contest even in face-offs (9-9), while the Bearcats held slight advantages in shots (38-32) and ground balls (25-23).Justin Rosenberg earned his fourth win in goal for Vermont, racking up 15 saves, which is the second-highest save total of his career. Max Schefler took the loss for Binghamton despite making 13 saves.Patrick Clark opened the scoring for Vermont with his fourth goal of the season just two minutes into play. Planck answered under a minute later with Binghamton’s first score, before Vermont received goals from A.J. Masson, Philie and Yager to take a 4-1 lead with 5:28 to play in the first frame.

Tucker Nelson tallied the final score of the period for Binghamton to pull the Bearcats within two, 4-2, heading into the second period.

Planck and Michael Antinozzi netted Binghamton’s only two goals of the second frame in a span of just over a minute to even the score, 4-4, at the 9:43 mark. Clark collected Vermont’s lone goal of the second with 2:03 remaining to give Vermont a 5-4 lead heading into halftime.

The teams exchanged a pair of goals each in the third frame, with Philie and Graham Horvath registering the scores for UVM, to head into the fourth period with Vermont holding a 7-6 advantage.

Yager tallied Vermont’s eighth goal of the game early in the fourth period to put the Cats up by two. Matt Springer cut the Bearcat deficit to 8-7 with 3:17 remaining in the contest, but that was as close as they would get, as Vermont held on for the 8-7 victory.

Vermont returns home to host Senior Day on Saturday (Apr. 27) against Hartford at 1 p.m. Live video of the game can be seen for free via by clicking here.

The Catamount men’s lacrosse coaches would like to invite all alumni to attend their final home game of the season on April 27 at 1 p.m. as they host Hartford.  Prior to the game, alumni are invited to participate in an alumni game from 10-11 a.m. on Virtue Field.  From 7-9 p.m., the coaches will host an alumni gathering at Halvorson’s Upstreet Cafe (16 Church St, Burlington).  Alumni are also invited to attend Friday’s practice on Virtue Field at 11 a.m.  To register by April 24, or for more information, please contact our Victory Club Office at 802-656-0956 or

NOTES: With two goals in today’s contest, Drew Philie moved into sole possession of second place on the program’s all-time goals list, with 119 … The fourth period goal from Tim Yager was the first game-winning goal in his UVM career … With a Catamount win next weekend vs. Hartford and losses from AE teams ahead of them, the Catamounts could secure a spot in the America East playoffs.

Dylan Webster Nets Game-Winner with 1.8 Seconds Left to Lift Men’s Lacrosse over Wagner, 11-10

HAMDEN, Conn. – Dylan Webster (Brampton, Ontario) scored the game-winning goal with 1.8 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to lift the Quinnipiac University men’s lacrosse team over Wagner, 11-10, on Senior Day at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field Saturday afternoon. The win clinches a playoff spot for the Bobcats as they head into the final weekend with a 3-1 mark in Northeast Conference play.

Playing from behind for most of the game, Wagner scored two goals in the final three minutes of play to tie the score up at 10 apiece – including the game-tying goal with 1:43 left. Webster, who was 16-of-25 for the game on the faceoff, corralled the ensuing faceoff and Quinnipiac carried the ball into Wagner’s zone with plenty of time on the clock.

Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.) took Quinnipiac’s first shot and missed wide to the right, but the Q maintained possession. Webster took the next shot with 39 seconds left – rattled the pipe – and the Bobcats once again collected the ball to extend their offensive set. Head coach Eric Fekete called timeout with just under seven seconds on the clock, and his team executed his play to perfection in the waning seconds. Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) raced in from the right side and drew a double team leaving Webster open on the back post. Corcoran found Webster with a perfect pass and the junior slammed home the game-winner with 1.8 seconds left.

Quinnipiac’s Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.), who tallied the game-winner in triple overtime against Sacred Heart last week, led the Bobcats once again with a five-point afternoon on three goals and two assists. Corcoran added four points with three assists and a goal, while Diehl continued his hot streak with two goals and an assist. Basil Kostaras (Southlake, Texas) added his 56th and 57thcareer goals; Webster and Tom Gilligan (Brookfield, Conn.) each had a goal and an assist and Jake Emms (Victoria, B.C.) scored once in the triumph.

Defensively, Gill Conners (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) was outstanding in net as the junior turned aside 16 shots on the afternoon. The backline wreaked havoc forcing 15 Wagner turnovers, 10 of them caused, and enclosed a 39-23 advantage in groundballs.

Quinnipiac did most of its damage in the first quarter, as the Bobcats outscored the Seahawks, 6-0, in the opening frame. However, after the sluggish start, Wagner’s goalie Nicholas Gibaldi settled in nicely which gave momentum to the visiting Seahawks. Wagner amassed a 10-4 run until Quinnipiac’s final tally of the game.

With the result, Wagner, now 1-11 overall and 0-4 in the league, was eliminated from playoff contention. The Seahawks were led by Colin O’Rourke who finished with seven goals on the day. Billy Battaglia had two goals and an assist.

Prior to the start of the game, the Quinnipiac Department of Athletics and Recreation honored Quinnipiac’s six senior class members who played in the last home game of their careers. Basil Kostaras, Jay Binkowski (Bethany, Conn.), Chris Messina (West Islip, N.Y.),Brendan Wilbur (Hingham, Mass.), Dorian Wolff (Fairport, N.Y.) and Sean Damboise (Southington, Conn.) were recognized in a brief ceremony for their contributions to the men’s lacrosse program.

Quinnipiac resumes Northeast Conference action next weekend, Saturday, April 27, at Robert Morris University. Faceoff is set for 11:30 a.m. in Moon Township, Pa.

Men’s Lacrosse Rallies For 9-8 Win At #20 Hofstra
Fleming’s late goal; man-down defense lead UMass to come-from-behind victory

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Trailing by four in the second quarter, UMass men’s lacrosse used a second-half offensive surge to rally past No. 20 Hofstra, 9-8 at James M. Shuart Stadium on Saturday evening. Senior attack Colin Fleming tallied the game-winning goal with 13 seconds to play on Will Manny’s single-game career-high sixth assist of the night.

Sophomore attack Grant Whiteway led the squad with three goals while Fleming and junior attack Connor Mooney added a pair of tallies. Bobby Tyler produced one goal and an assist for a pair of points, Kyle Smith totaled one mark and Brendan Schroeder helped out on one tally.

The UMass man-down defense kept Hofstra to just one goal in seven extra-man opportunities spanning 6:30 of game action. Zach Oliveri finished with 13 stops against eight goals for a .619 save percentage on the contest while Joe Calvello won 13-of-19 faceoffs and tied for the game high with five groundballs scooped up.

With 1:52 remaining in the game and the scored tied at 8-8, the Minutemen caused a Hofstra turnover and cleared the play into the offensive zone. Following a timeout, Manny earned possession behind the cage and sent the play to Fleming in front, with Fleming firing a high attempt by goalie Chris Selva to push UMass ahead, 9-8 with time winding down in regulation to cap the comeback.

The Minutemen (6-7 overall, 1-4 CAA) opened scoring with Smith tallying his team-leading 23rd goal of the year only 38 seconds into the game. Manny fed Smith from the right post, with Smith bouncing a shot at the edge of the crease.

Torin Varn recorded back-to-back goals for Hofstra (7-6, 2-3) to push the home side into a 2-1 lead with 3:57 to go in the first. Varn added a man-up tally at the 1:22 mark of the opening stanza to notch the hat trick, using the Pride’s fourth man-up opportunity of the quarter to do so.

After Brian von Bargen secured Hofstra’s fourth goal on a rebound shot to close scoring in the first, Adrian Sorichetti connected to give the Pride a 5-1 advantage with 12:48 remaining in the half, the largest lead of the contest for either side. The Minutemen countered with consecutive tallies from Mooney and Whiteway to pull within 5-3, scoring the pair only 1:11 apart.

Mooney added the second UMass goal of the day with 4:55 left in the second, scooping up a loose ball in front and planting a rebound shot into the left side of the net while being checked to the ground from behind. Whiteway followed with his 19th goal of the year to drop the deficit to two. With Fleming screening the Hofstra defense in front of the cage, Whiteway caught a pass from Manny and fired an attempt into the top-left corner to convert.

Whiteway tallied his second of the day and 20th of the year to move the Minutemen within 6-4 at the 10:08 mark of the third. Schroeder found Whiteway in front for the goal, marking Schroeder’s second helper of the season. Tyler added UMass’ fifth goal on Manny’s third assist of the contest. Manny sent a pass to Tyler near the left post, with Tyler flicking an attempt by Selva at the crease with 5:08 remaining in the third.

After Mike Malave recorded a goal for the Pride to extend Hofstra’s lead to 7-5 at the 1:53 mark in the third, Whiteway connected again to earn his fourth career hat trick. Using a man-up opportunity following a cross-checking penalty on the Pride, Whiteway secured his third goal of the day following a feed from Manny with 23 seconds left in the third.

The Minutemen evened the score only 48 seconds into the final stanza on a Fleming strike from distance. Tyler sent a pass from behind the net to Fleming eight yards from the cage, with Fleming depositing a hard shot over Selva’s right shoulder to make it 7-7.

UMass took its first lead of the contest since going ahead, 1-0 with Mooney’s second goal of the day. To give the Minutemen the 8-7 advantage with 8:47 to play, Manny found Mooney in front, with Mooney converting a shot while being checked to the ground.

The one-goal UMass advantage was erased by von Bargen with a strike five yards out from the left post to notch play at 8-8 with 1:52 remaining to play. However, Fleming’s first game-winner of the season kept UMass’ CAA Tournament hopes alive as the Minutemen required a win over Hofstra to stay in the race for the fourth and final seed in the upcoming postseason.

Varn led Hofstra with three goals, all in the first quarter. von Bargen followed with two tallies while Sam Llinares, Malave and Sorichetti recorded one each. Selva made 17 saves for the Pride while letting in nine tallies.

UMass outshot Hofstra, 42-33 overall and 26-12 in the second half. The Minutemen also led in groundballs, 27-24 while committing fewer turnovers, with 10 against 11 given up by the Pride. UMass went 15-for-18 on clears while Hofstra finished 17-of-18. The Minutemen finished 4-for-8 in extra-man opportunities as Whiteway converted twice and Mooney and Tyler notched one man-up goal each.

UMass hosts its senior day against the Delaware Blue Hens (5-9, 1-4) with a 7 p.m. contest at Garber Field on Friday, April 26.