The regular season is coming down the homestretch. Everyone is starting to jockey for position for their respective conference tourneys. Some major upsets again this week on the list headlined by UNew England knocking off Endicott. Wentworth enters the list for the first time this year, knocking out UMass-Dartmouth who lost to UMass-Boston 8-7 in OT.
This gives the CCC five teams on the list for the first time. It is pretty hard to decipher between the CCC and Little East, but I’ll give edge to CCC. One thing is pretty clear though both leagues are very balanced and certainly not anywhere close to being decided.
Who will make the NESCAC playoffs, will there be multiple teams in NCAA’s from the NESCAC? To me Tufts and Middlebury are both in pretty good position. After that its anyone’s guess. In the meantime the New England D3 Top 20 is:
- Tufts (10-3) Rebound from loss to Endicott with wins over Amherst and Bates
- Middlebury (10-2) Home win vs. Trinity and at Skidmore
- Keene St (9-2) Sloppy vs. Salem St, still has four conference games to play, overrated? We’ll see
- Conn College (9-3) loss to Hamilton should take them out of Pool C consideration.
- Wesleyan(10-3) Finish with Tufts and Conn College, OOC schedule will be their undoing
- Endicott (10-3) Follow up Tufts and RWU wins with ugly loss to UNE
- Bowdoin (7-5) Finish with Tufts and Endicott
- Bates (6-5) Finish with Conn and Colby
- Western New England (8-5) seem to be playing better, 20-4 over UNE looks good
- Hamilton(7-5) Winners of three in a row, nice OT win vs. Conn College
- Williams (5-6) Looking to hold on for NESCAC playoff bid
- Colby (6-7) Outside looking in on NESCAC playoff
- Amherst (4-8) need last two over Trinity and Williams badly
- Springfield (5-7) Winners of 4 of 5, hoping for AQ
- Trinity (4-9) Outside looking in on NESCAC playoff
- Babson (6-6) Games with Wheaton and Springfield will decide Pilgrim
- Roger Williams (6-6) lose tight one to WNE, fall apart in 4th vs. Endicott
- Eastern CT(4-7) Four league games left
- UNew England (10-4) blown out at WNE, shock Endicott!
- Wentworth (10-3) Putting together very respectable season
3rd Star: John Dusel UNew England: 15 saves in upset over Endicott
2nd Star: Jon Broome Middlebury: 7g, 1a in wins over Trinity and Skidmore
1st Star: Nick Gross UNew England: season high 4g in upset over Endicott
Odds and Ends:
The NCAA has released regional ranking through April 17th. Middlebury#4, Conn College #6,Tufts#7, Endicott#10 and Bowdoin #11 made the list. I feel Keene St is being overlooked and obviously volleyballgate has hurt Tufts and those two early season losses have had an effect on their ranking.
The NESCAC has a losing record vs. the CCC (3-4), who would have thunk it?
Can Castleton St. and Norwich give three Vermont teams in NCAA?, both are in line for AQ’s in Great Northeast and North Atlantic. They would join Middlebury.
Photo courtesy Keene State Athletics