Weekend Wrap Up April 8th

Vermont Defeated by UMBC in Men’s Lacrosse

CATONSVILLE, Md. – Scott Jones and Pat Young combined for 12 points to lead UMBC over visiting Vermont, 19-6, in men’s lacrosse conference action on Saturday afternoon at UMBC Stadium. With the win, the Retrievers move to 4-6 (1-1 AE), while Vermont drops to 3-8 (0-2 AE).

Mark D’Anthony collected a team-high three points on a goal and two assists, and Graham Horvath notched two goals to pace the Catamounts on the day. Derek Braig had a game-high three caused turnovers on the defensive end for Vermont.

Wes DiRito allowed four goals and made six saves to earn the win in net for UMBC. Justin Rosenberg took the loss between the pipes for Vermont after playing the first half and making six saves.

UMBC collected the game’s first six scores to take the early lead before Horvath netted his first score of the game off a feed from Drew Philie.

The Retrievers again went on a run, scoring seven consecutive goals spanning 11 minutes of the second quarter, to take a 12-1 advantage into halftime. Jones scored three times during the stretch for UMBC.

Philie tallied Vermont’s first goal of the second half at the 12:36 mark before the Retrievers netted three straight goals. Horvath put an end to the UMBC run with his second score of the game with just over five minutes remaining in the third period.

D’Anthony closed out the third period with an unassisted goal, his first of the season, to cut Vermont’s deficit to 17-4 heading into the final period.

A.J. Masson and Nick Bartlett collected goals for Vermont in the final frame, with both assists going to D’Anthony, but the Catamounts weren’t able to catch up, eventually falling 19-6.

Vermont returns home to host No. 20 Albany in a conference matchup on Saturday (Apr. 13) at 1 p.m.


Will Manny Records 100th Goal In Loss At Towson
UMass drops 9-5 contest to the Tigers; Manny becomes 10th Minuteman to notch 100 career tallies

TOWSON, Md. – Senior attack Will Manny became the 10th Minuteman to record 100 career tallies during the UMass men’s lacrosse 9-5 loss at Towson University’s Johnny Unitas Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Kyle Smith finished with two points on a goal and assist while Colin Fleming, Connor Mooney and Matt Whippen each notched one tally. Andrew Sokol added one assist to round out scoring for the Minutemen (5-6 overall, 0-3 CAA).

Junior Joe Calvello went 13-for-18 on faceoffs (72.2 pct.) and scooped up five groundballs. Senior midfielder Brett Tobin led all players with six groundballs on the day, also causing one turnover.

Towson’s Cory Dobyn’s earned the first goal of the day with 12:40 remaining in the second quarter. The Tigers (7-5, 3-0) one-goal lead held until the 6:02 mark of the quarter, when Smith converted a man-up opportunity to even the contest at 1-1. Sokol sent a pass to Smith, with the senior attack firing an attempt into the top-right corner for his team-leading 19th goal of the season.

The Tigers moved back in front with an unassisted goal from Thomas DeNapoli at the 1:35 mark to hold a 2-1 lead entering the halftime break. Following the intermission, the Towson offense recorded consecutive goals from Devin Grimaldi, Greg Cuccinello and Robby Zoppo and Ben McCarty to secure a 6-1 lead with three minutes left in the third.

Whippen cut the deficit to four with the junior’s 14th goal of the season, scooping up a loose ball near the left post of Towson’s net and sending a shot by Andrew Wascavage to pull the Minutemen within 6-2 with 1:38 to play in the third.

However, the Tigers offense connected for the first three goals of the fourth to move ahead by a 9-2 margin before the Minutemen were able to rally for a trio of tallies to reach the final score. Manny used a soft bounce shot from the left post to make it a 9-3 game with 5:03 remaining before Mooney converted an attempt 42 seconds later. Fleming added his first goal of the year on a blast from 20 yards away at the 3:30 mark; however, the Minutemen were unable to pull closer.

Grimaldi led Towson with three goals and an assist while Zoppo produced one tally and helped out on two more for three points on the day. Cuccinello completed the trio of Tigers earning multiple points on the day with a pair of goals.

UMass led in shots, 40-35 and groundballs, 25-20 and finished perfect on clear attempts with a 12-for-12 day. The Maroon and White netted a pair of man-up goals in three tries while holding Towson to an 0-for-2 performance in the category. UMass limited its turnovers to 11 while forcing 12 from the Tigers. Redshirt-freshman Zach Oliveri made 10 saves in net while Wascavage earned 20 stops for Towson.

The Minutemen continue the 2013 campaign with an April 13 contest on Garber Field against No. 12 Drexel (8-3, 3-1) at 1 p.m.


Quinnipiac Men’s Lacrosse Picks up NEC Win against Mount St. Mary’s, 12-8

HAMDEN, Conn. – Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.) finished with two goals and two assists and Billy Oppenheimer(Conshohocken, Pa.) handed out a career high three assists on Saturday afternoon, as the Quinnipiac University men’s lacrosse team defeated Mount St. Mary’s, 12-8, at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field on Mount Carmel Campus.

Quinnipiac snapped a five game slide with the win to improve to 4-5 overall and 1-1 in NEC play. Led by Diehl and Oppenheimer, the Bobcats featured eight players in the scoring column in one of the team’s best offensive efforts to date. Brendan Wilbur (Hingham, Mass.) nabbed his second hat trick of the season, while Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) added two goals for his fourth multi-goal game this year.Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.), Basil Kostaras (Southlake, Texas), Dylan Webster (Brampton, Ontario) and Tom Gilligan (Brookfield, Conn.) each added one for the Bobcats.

In dire need of a win, Quinnipiac helped its cause tremendously with a season-high of seven goals in the first quarter. After Kostaras and Diehl put the Bobcats in front, 2-0, Mount St. Mary’s netted the game’s next two goals to tie the score at two apiece. That was as close as the Mountaineers would come for the remainder of the game though, as Quinnipiac rattled off five unanswered to close out the opening 15 minutes.

Sagl bumped the QU lead to 8-2 with his team-leading 15th goal of the season, and each team score twice before the halftime whistle sounded. Gilligan scored the Bobcats’ ninth goal of the game, with Diehl pushing the lead to 10-4 with his second goal of the game just seconds before the break.

With a comfortable six-goal cushion, defense became the name of the game for Quinnipiac. Led by junior standout goalie Gill Conners(Ballston Spa, N.Y.), the Bobcats buckled down and limited the high-power MSM offense to just four second-half goals. Conners stopped 13 shots in net and Quinnipiac forced nine second-half Mountaineer turnovers.

For the game, Quinnipiac outshot Mount St. Mary’s, 35-29; grabbed a 31-28 advantage in groundballs; and a controlled the faceoff, 12-11. However, the big discrepancy on the stat sheet came in the turnover category, where Quinnipiac tallied a plus-nine, 15-6, advantage for the game.

Offensively, the Bobcats were terrific, missing a season-high in assists by just one. They tallied nine of them in the game, coming off the sticks of Sagl (2), Diehl (2), Oppenheimer (3), and Gilligan (2). Webster added a team-best 11 groundballs.

Mount St. Mary’s, now 4-8 on the season and 0-2 in the NEC, was led by Brett Schmidt with three goals and one assist. Clayton Wainer finished with two goals and three others added one.

Quinnipiac is back in action on Tuesday, April 9 with its final non-conference game of the season. The Bobcats welcome Harvard to the QU Lacrosse Turf for a 4 p.m. tilt.



JT Weber and Sean Wright paced the Friars with two goals each.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s lacrosse team dropped a hard-fought BIG EAST battle to fifth-ranked Notre Dame, 13-8, on Saturday, April 7 in Providence, R.I.  The game was tied, 6-6, midway through the third quarter before the Irish closed the game on a 7-2 run to take the victory.  JT Weber (West Hartford, Conn.) led the Friars with two goals and two assists for four points.  Sean Wright (Silver Spring, Md.) added three points on two goals and one assist.  The Friars drop to 7-5 overall (1-3 BIG EAST), while Notre Dame improves to 8-2 overall and 2-1 in the BIG EAST.

The Friars took an early two-goal lead as freshmen Jake Newman (Mill Valley, Calif.) and Brendon McGuire (Wycoff, N.J.) notched back-to-back goals at 14:23 and 9:39, respectively.  Each of the goals was unassisted.  Notre Dame answered by scoring four-straight goals to close the first quarter.  Sean Rogers was credited with two goals during the stretch, while Westy Hopkins and John Scioscia also found the back of the cage.

Providence got within a goal (4-3) early in the second quarter as freshman Kevin Blair (Hingham, Mass.) found the back of the net for his eighth goal of the year.  The goal was assisted by Wright just 52 seconds into the quarter.  Notre Dame responded with a goal at the 7:07 mark to put the Irish ahead, 5-4.  The Friars closed the scoring with 1:49 left on the clock as Wright notched his 31st goal of the season off a feed Weber.  Notre Dame took its 5-4 advantage into halftime.

The Friars scored two of the first three goals to begin the third quarter, which allowed Providence to tie the game twice.  Barton struck first, unassisted, at the 13:17 mark to make the score 5-5.  Notre Dame regained the lead (6-5) just seven seconds later as Conor Doyle scored, unassisted, at 13:10.  The Friars tied the game for a second time (6-6) with 7:48 remaining in the quarter as Wright picked up his 32nd goal of the year.  The assist was credited to Weber.  Notre Dame quelled the Friars’ threat with three-straight goals to close the third quarter, and Notre Dame entered the fourth and final stanza with a 9-6 lead.

The fourth quarter lacked offensive production from either side until Notre Dame’s Matt Kavanagh scored, man-up, with 8:35 to play.  The goal was assisted by Will Corrigan and it gave the Irish their largest lead of the game (11-7).  Providence’s Weber found the back of the cage at the 5:45 mark, unassisted, to make the score 10-7.

At that point, Notre Dame went on another three-goal run to take a 13-7 advantage.  Each of the three goals came during a span of 1:36, and gave control of the game to the Irish.  Weber halted the run with his second goal of the game, and 21st of the season, with just three seconds remaining on the clock.

Friar goaltender Jack Connelly (Kenilworth, Ill.) recorded 13 saves in the loss.  Jack Kemp stopped nine shots in goal for Notre Dame to take the victory.

Notre Dame finished the game with a 43-29 advantage in shots and a 37-27 edge in groundballs.  The Irish dominated the face-off “X”, winning 20-of-24 face-off opportunities during the game.  The Irish also converted on 2-3 man-up opportunities, while the Friars finished the game, 0-3.

The Friars return to action on Saturday, April 13 against Holy Cross.  The game will be played at 6:00 p.m. in Worcester, Mass.

Photo courtesy UVM Athletics