St. Anselm’s Lacrosse Weekend Recap April 7th

Men’s Lacrosse Fights, but Falls to Franklin Pierce 9-7

RINDGE, N.H. –  Sophomore Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) and classmate James Peters (Medway, Mass.) each scored three points, but the Saint Anselm College men’s lacrosse team fell to Franklin Pierce University, 9-7, Saturday afternoon at Sodexo Field in Rindge.

The Hawks dip to 2-6 overall and 2-4 in league play, while the Ravens won for the third time in four games to even their overall record at 4-4 and 3-3 in league play.

Saint Anselm knotted the game up at one when Jake Mallinson (Middleton, R.I.) sent a pass to Andrew Messner (Wakefield, R.I.) at 9:11 of the opening quarter. The Ravens tacked on another pair of goals, bringing their lead to two at 3-1, before Peters netted his first goal of the contest to close scoring in the first and put the Hawks within one.

Kennedy opened the second with his goal just 1:16 into the quarter after he received a pass from Andy Budz (Williamstown, Mass.) and knotted the game at three. Franklin Pierce’s Kevin Dargin scored on the extra-man advantage at 5:49, putting the Ravens back up one goal with a score of 4-3. The second turned out to be Kennedy’s quarter as he found the net for a second time, once again tying the game.

Franklin Pierce started the third with back-to-back goals from Cody MacLellan and Dargin, before Peters came knocking for the Hawks with 4:05 left to play, putting them within a one-goal reach.

Each team scored again, Erik Kelly for the Ravens and Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) for Saint Anselm, moving into the final quarter with a score of 7-6 in favor of Franklin Pierce.

Dargin netted his third of the game past Saint Anselm goalkeeper Jonathon O’Reilly (Plano, Texas), before Ben Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) potted a goal for the Hawks at the 10:08 mark, attempting to take the lead a final time. The Ravens finalized their win with a goal from Kelly with 8:51 remaining and Raven goalie Don Denman made key saves in the final minutes to preserve the victory.

O’Reilly made 10 saves, while Denman stopped 18 of 25 shots on goal. The Hawks were 1-4 on the extra-man advantage, while Franklin Pierce was 2-6. Faceoffs were split with each team winning 10 apiece.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, April 10 at 4 p.m. when they travel to Saint Michael’s College.

Women’s Lacrosse Clipped by #13 New Haven, 12-11

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Sophomore Sarah Doherty (Franklin, Mass.) scored a career-high five goals, but the Saint Anselm College women’s lacrosse team was edged by the 13th-ranked University of New Haven, 12-11, Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.

The Hawks have their seven-game winning streak snapped as they drop to 7-2 on the season, including 4-1 in Northeast-10 play. The chargers even their record at 5-5 and improve to 3-2 in conference action.

Doherty set the tone early for the Hawks as she potted an unassisted goal just 1:13 into the contest to put the hosts up one and then scored again off a feed from classmate Marissa Daly (Marshfield, Mass.) to make it 2-1 with 18:12 remaining in the opening half. Fellow sophomore Kaitlyn Stazinski (Pembroke, Mass.) buried a free-position chance at the 15:45 mark and then assisted on a goal by classmate Kelly Pickett (Chelmsford, Mass.) just 3:01 later that opened up a 4-1 lead.

New Haven battled back with the final three goals of the half, however, including a pair from Kathryn Campbell, to knot the game at four at the break.

Saint Anselm looked to grab momentum back when Pickett opened the second-half scoring with an unassisted tally just under four minutes in, but the Chargers potted four of the next five – with the Hawks getting one from Doherty – to take an 8-6 lead with 16:43 left.

The Hawks showed fight once more as they scored three-in-a-row to regain the lead with 12:51 on the clock. Doherty began the run by beating New Haven goalkeeper Marissa McDermott at the 15:28 mark before Stazinski followed suit at 13:35. Freshman Caitlin Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) put Saint Anselm back on top with a free-position score.

After New Haven scored three straight – with two from Natalie Lieberman – Doherty scored at the seven-minute mark and Pickett found the back of the net off a feed from freshman Michelle Kudlate (Waltham, Mass.) with 4:00 left to tie the game at 11.

Lieberman delivered the final blow for New Haven on an unassisted goal with just 1:31 on the clock in regulation to lift the Chargers to victory.

Freshman goalkeeper Jane Bunn (St. John’s, Fla.) made three saves, while McDermott stopped seven shots.

Saint Anselm held a 22-20 edge in shots, while New Haven won 14 of the game’s 25 draw controls. The Hawks were 2-for-5 on free-position chances and the Chargers were 1-for-2.

The Hawks return to action Tuesday, April 9 at 7 p.m. when they play host to crosstown rival Southern New Hampshire at Grappone.