This week saw a full slate of action, and some of the conference races are beginning to take shape. As April begins the race for AQ’s and for a couple of others at large pool C NCAA bids will be on the line.
In the NESCAC Middlebury was knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten, losing at home to a resurgent Bowdoin team 7-6. The Polar Bears finished their weekend with a one goal win by the same 7-6 count at Williams to extend their winning streak to 5 straight. Still a ton of lax to be played to determine playoff and pool c position. To me Tufts looks like the best, but two early losses are looming large.
As far as Little East goes can unbeaten UMASS Dartmouth crash the ECSU/ Keene St party? The Corsairs will face Conn College this week, we will see if they are up to the task of facing a quality NESCAC foe. Salem St. stumbled this week 21-5 vs. ECSU after a good early season run.
The Pilgrim League is looking like a two team race between Springfield and Babson. Springfield scored a huge 11-10 win this weekend against WNE after losing six consecutive. Babson sits at 4-4 after losing four in a row themselves recently. Can Wheaton breakthrough to challenge? They re enter the top 20 this week after winning three in a row themselves highlighted by a win over ECSU.
The biggest question in the CCC is who will host the semi final match up between RWU and Endicott. WNE along with those two appear to be ahead of the pack. Wentworth has been making some noise this year getting off to a 6-1 start. UNE at 6-3 looks to be a solid team as well. Both could face each other in a 4/5 match up in the CCC playoff.
Lasell and Norwich look to be tops in Great Northeast. Defending champ Mt Ida will still be a factor. While in the Northcoast in appears Castleton and New England College are going to fight it out.
This week’s New England D3 Report Top 20 is:
- Tufts (5-2)- NESCAC favorite, National Championship contender. 16-12 winner over Trinity
- Conn College (5-2)- won at Colby 11-10, unbeaten UMass Dartmouth upcoming
- Middlebury (6-1)- Suffered first loss at home to Bowdoin, offensively challenged lately
- Bowdoin (6-2)- Gaining momentum after slow start. Sweep Midd and Williams on the road this weekend
- Western New England (4-4) bad home loss to Springfield 11-10
- Colby (4-3) Third NESCAC loss this week
- Bates (5-4) Mixed bag this week, nice win over Keene St., lose at Williams
- Wesleyan (6-2) Big game with Colby upcoming
- Keene St (6-1) Bates knocks off Owls, still fave in Little East though
- Endicott (6-3) Continue to build momentum
- Amherst (3-5) Big opportunity against Middlebury this week
- Williams (3-4) heartbreaking loss at home vs Bowdoin 7-6 in 4OT
- Hamilton (3-4) Three straight losses, all in NESCAC
- UMass Dartmouth (6-0) Questionable schedule, gets a challenge at Conn College this week
- Springfield (2-6) Finally win after six losses in a row over crosstown rival WNE
- Trinity (2-6) losers of 6 of 7
- Babson (4-4) win Pilgrim opener over Mass Maritime 16-9
- Roger Williams (4-4) outscore UNE and Nichols 28-13 to open CCC play
- Eastern CT (3-5) thrash upstart Salem St. 21-5 to open Little East play
- Wheaton (3-4) re enter list, have won 3 in a row
3rd Star: Ryan Murphy, Springfield- Helped Pride knock off Western NE with four goals
2nd Star: Billy Bergner, Bowdoin- 5 goals, 1 assist over weekend with wins over Middlebury and Williams
1st Star: Will Seifert, Roger Williams- 10 goals 3 assists in two CCC wins over UNE and Nichols
Odds and Ends:
Four teams, all NESCAC’s appear in Laxforum poll this week. Tufts #3, Middlebury #13, Conn College #16 and Bowdoin #18. Speaking of Laxforums the most viewed D3 in New England forums are NESCAC 84,891 views. Little East 30,857 views, CCC 24,217 and Pilgrim League 6,858 views.