New England Lacrosse Recap 4/1/13

Men’s Lacrosse Drops 7-6 Decision At Saint Joseph’s
Izzo, Whippen notch two goals apiece for the Minutemen

PHILADELPHIA – Despite two-goal performances from Ryan Izzo and Matt Whippen, UMass men lacrosse faltered in a 7-6 contest at Saint Joseph’s Finnesey Field on Saturday afternoon. Senior attack Will Manny earned two points on a goal – the 99th of his career with the Minutemen – and an assist while classmate Kyle Smith added a pair of helpers. Sophomore attack Grant Whiteway recorded one goal and senior midfielder Bobby Tyler had an assist to round out the Minutemen offense.
Saint Joseph’s offense used a decisive run of three consecutive goals during the third quarter to push ahead for a 7-5 advantage entering the final stanza. Pat Swanick notched the first before Kyle Williams and Michael Dougherty added a goal each, with Dougherty’s coming as two seconds remained in the quarter.

Whippen brought the Minutemen within one goal of tying at the 8:43 mark of the fourth on a hard shot from the left side of the cage following a pass from Manny; however, UMass was unable to respond further during the remaining time.

Whiteway opened scoring with the sophomore’s 13th goal of the season at the 9:44 mark of the first. Whiteway received a pass from Tyler 10 feet from the cage and placed a turnaround attempt into the back of the net.

Saint Joseph’s responded with back-to-back tallies from Dougherty and Richard Gabelman before the Minutemen were able to even the contest at 2-2. Smith sent the play to Whippen in front of the net, with the junior midfielder dropping his stick low to send an underhanded shot by Hawks goalie Dustin Keen with 43 seconds to play in the first.

Izzo pushed UMass in front during the final seconds of the first quarter. Following a faceoff, the Minutemen moved possession into the defensive area before Izzo took control of the ball. The redshirt-sophomore midfielder then raced upfield, weaving toward the goal before converting a shot with seven seconds to play in the quarter to give UMass a 3-2 lead entering the second.

Swanick set up Matthew Sarcona with Sarcona’s 10th goal of the season as the Hawks evened play at 3-3 with 11:07 to play in the second; however, Izzo’s ability to shield possession and rush through the midfield proved vital for UMass’ fourth goal and the second of the day for the Walpole, Mass., native. Following a James Fahey caused turnover, Izzo scooped up the loose ball and raced down the field before firing a shot from the left post with 9:05 remaining in the third to push UMass in front, 4-3.

After a Johnny Simanski tally to continue the back-and-forth flow of the game, Manny responded with an attempt from in front of the net. Manny placed his shot low and into the right-center of the back of the net with 12:08 remaining in the third to give the Minutemen another one-goal advantage.

The Minutemen outshot the Hawks, 29-24 and recorded a 21-16 lead in groundballs. Midfielder Joe Calvello won eight of the 14 faceoffs the junior took while James Fahey finished 1-for-1 in the category. UMass went 20-for-23 on clears while the Hawks ended 18-for-19. Redshirt-freshman Zach Oliveri earned three saves for the Minutemen while Keen finished with 13 stops for the home side.

Saint Joseph’s was led by Dougherty’s two goals while Simanski recorded one tally and a pair of assists. Swanick also recorded a multi-point day for the Hawks with a goal and one helper.

The Minutemen continue Colonial Athletic Association competition on the road with a contest at Towson (5-5, 1-0) on Saturday, April 6, in Baltimore, Md.

Catamounts Fall to Stony Brook in Men’s Lacrosse America East Opener
FINAL SCORE: Stony Brook 19, Vermont 10

BURLINGTON, Vt. – Brody Eastwood and Jeff Tundo combined for 11 points to lead Stony Brook past Vermont, 19-10, in the America East men’s lacrosse opener for both teams on Saturday afternoon at Virtue Field. Stony Brook moves to 6-4 (1-0 AE) on the season, while Vermont drops to 3-7 (0-1 AE).

Stony Brook collected four of the game’s first five goals to jump out to a 4-1 lead at the 5:32 mark of the first frame.

Drew Philie tallied a score off a feed from Blake Pendleton at the 3:58 mark to cut Vermont’s deficit to 4-2. Stony Brook responded with three consecutive goals to close out the period and head into the second frame with a 7-2 advantage.

The Seawolves netted the first four goals of the second frame, including two from Eastwood, to open their lead up to 11-2 with just over three minutes remaining in the second period.

Andrew Buckanavage and Eastwood traded goals in the final 1:15, and the Seawolves took a 12-3 lead into the half.

Midway through the third period, Tim Yager found the back of the net off a pass from A.J. Masson for the Catamounts first score of the frame. After a goal from Stony Brook’s Tundo, Philie and Graham Horvath netted goals for Vermont to cut its deficit to 13-6.

Vermont received goals from Horvath, A.J. Leary and Buckanavage in the first eight minutes of the final period to cut Stony Brook’s lead to 15-9 with 7:10 remaining.

That was as close as the Catamounts would get, as the Seawolves scored four of the last five goals in the contest to earn their sixth win of the season.

Vermont outshot Stony Brook 49-41 in the contest and also held advantages on face-offs (19-12) and ground balls (44-33).

The Catamounts were led by Philie and Horvath, who collected two goals apiece, while Buckanavage chipped in with two scores.

Eastwood led all scorers with five goals, and Tundo chipped in six points on three goals and three assists.

Dan Shaughnessy made 14 saves to earn the win between the pipes for Stony Brook and Justin Rosenberg took the loss for Vermont despite making 12 saves on the day,

The Catamounts return to action on Saturday (Apr. 6) when they travel to UMBC for an America East matchup with the Retrievers at 1 p.m.


Holy Cross Men’s Lacrosse Falls To #7 Bucknell, 16-9

LEWISBURG, Pa. – Freshman goalie Michael Ortlieb (Newport Beach, Calif.) scored two goals and made 15 saves but the Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 7 Bucknell, 16-9, on Saturday afternoon in Patriot League action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 5-5 overall (1-3 PL), while the Bison improve to 9-2 overall (3-0 PL).

After the Bison took an early 2-0 lead, senior captain John Hannan (Manhasset, N.Y.) made it a 2-1 contest with 9:05 left in the first quarter. Bucknell then scored four straight goals to increase its lead to 6-1. Sophomore Conor Shanahan (Potomac, Md.) then scored the last goal of the first quarter off a pass from senior captain Myles Gillespie (Rye, N.Y.). The Bison then outscored the Crusaders 5-0 in the second quarter to take an 11-2 lead to the half.

Ortlieb opened the second half by scoring his first collegiate goal as he sent a long shot to an open net. Shanahan then netted a goal off a pass by Hannan to make it an 11-4 contest. After two straight goals by the Bison, Hannan posted his second goal of the game off a pass from senior captain James Kennedy (Summit, N.J.). The assist was the 50th of Kennedy’s career. After Chase Bailey made it a 14-5 game, Ortlieb once again sent a long shot to an open Bucknell net for his second goal. Then with just 25 seconds remaining in the third quarter sophomore Chris Smith (Rye, N.Y.) scored off a pass by sophomore Clay Haarmann (Mendham, N.J.) to make the score 14-7. After two goals by Sean Doyle to increase the Bucknell lead to 16-7, sophomore Terry McKenna (Summit, N.J.) found the back of the net off a pass from Kennedy and Haarmann scored the last goal of the game off a pass by sophomore Jamie Ward (Glen Rock, N.J.). The assist was Ward’s first collegiate point. Doyle led Bucknell with four goals and one assist for five points.

Ortlieb made 15 saves and is now 2-3 on the season, while Kyle Feeney posted six saves and improves to 9-2. Bucknell outshot Holy Cross, 52-20, while the Bison secured 41 ground balls and the Crusaders posted 18. Bucknell won 18 of 28 face-offs, while the Crusaders went 0-1 on extra-man opportunities and the Bison went 1-5.

The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, April 6, when they travel to Easton, Pa., to take on Patriot League opponent Lafayette at 1:00 p.m.

Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Bryant in NEC Opener, 17-7

SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Quinnipiac University men’s lacrosse team dropped its Northeast Conference opener Saturday afternoon as the Bobcats fell on the road to Bryant, 17-7, at the Bulldog Turf Complex. With the loss, Quinnipiac falls to 3-5 overall, while the Bulldogs improve to 2-8 on the season.

Quinnipiac was led by Brendan Wilbur (Hingham, Mass.) who tallied his eighth and ninth goals of the season. Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) finished with a goal and an assist; while Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.), Chris Messina (West Islip, N.Y.), Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.) and Connor Meth (Basking Ridge, N.J.) each added one apiece. Billy Oppenheimer (Conshohocken, Pa.) was credited with an assist.

Bryant, who entered as the NEC’s worst offensive team, raced out of the gate with the game’s first five goals in four minutes of action. Colin Dunster scored back-to-back goals, followed by tallies from Peter McMahon, Alex Zomerfeld and Mason Poli.

Quinnipiac got on the board with consecutive scores of its own when Wilbur and Messina found the nylon, cutting the Bryant lead to just three goals. Unfortunately for the Bobcats, that’s as close as they would come after a monstrous rally from the Bulldogs. Bryant rallied off 10 straight goals, capped off by Sipperly’s third goal of the game midway through the third quarter.

The Bobcats showed fight in the last 20 minutes of play though, netting five unanswered goals of their own. Wilbur scored his second goal of the game with 4:23 left in the third, which saw two more Quinnipiac goals before period’s end. Sagl scored with 59 seconds left in the stanza to extend his point streak to 12 straight games; and Corcoran netted another with just six seconds left, leaving a 15-5 Bryant advantage entering the fourth quarter.

Diehl and Meth cut the deficit to eight goals, 15-7, with back-to-back tallies to start the final frame, but the Bulldogs put the game out of reach with two more in the closing minutes.

Boasting the nation’s best faceoff percentage, Bryant dominated the circle, and therefore controlled time of possession as well. The Bulldogs edged the Bobcats, 24-4, on the faceoff, 59-33, in shots, and 52-21 in groundballs. Bryant was also 4-of-7 on the man-up and didn’t commit a penalty in the game.

Dunster finished with a game-high five points on four goals and an assist for Bryant. Sipperly and Poli had three goals each.

Quinnipiac resumes Northeast Conference play next Saturday, April 6th, at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field. The Bobcats welcome Mount St. Mary’s to Hamden for a 12 p.m. tilt.


Greg FitzMaurice notched both the equalizer and game-winner in the Friars’ victory.

Piscataway, N.J. – The Providence College men’s lacrosse team recorded its first BIG EAST win of the season with a 10-9 overtime win over Rutgers on Saturday, March 30 in Piscataway, N.J. The win marks the second BIG EAST win for the Friars since joining the conference in 2010, and Chris Gabrielli’s first conference win as head coach of the Friars. Providence improves to 7-3 (1-2 BIG EAST), while Rutgers falls to 2-8 (0-3 BIG EAST).

Rutgers struck first at the 13:52 mark of the first quarter when Steve DiGivanni buried a feed from Nick Depaolera.  Providence evened the game at 1-1 when junior Jak Wawrzyniak (Manchester, UK) tallied his first goal of the season with 12:19 left to play in the first. Wawrzyniak’s goal was assisted by senior midfielder Josh Torres (Andover, Mass.). The Scarlet Knights took a 2-1 advantage when Matthew Klimchak capitalized on a man-up opportunity with 8:21 remaining in the first quarter. Senior attack JT Weber (West Hartford, Conn.) tied the game at two goals apiece to end the first quarter (3:28).

Rutgers paced the second quarter by out-scoring the Friars, 5-2. Scott Bieda opened the quarter with a goal at 14:37. Providence answered by notching back-to-back goals from juniors Andrew Barton (Timonium, Md.) and Sean Wright (Silver Spring, Md.) at 13:37 and 6:44, respectively. The Scarlet Knights closed the half on a 4-0 run and Rutgers carried a 7-4 lead into halftime.

Rutgers took its largest lead of the game, 8-4, with 7:32 left to play in the third quarter when Jacob Coretti’s shot found the back of the cage. Weber scored back-to-back goals at 6:30 and 4:58 to bring the Friars within two, 8-6. Beida added Rutgers’ final goal of the game with 36 seconds remaining in the third to increase the Scarlet Knights’ lead to 9-6.

The fourth quarter remained scoreless until the 2:19 mark when Wright notched his second goal of the game to close Rutgers’ lead to two, 9-7. In the final minute of play the Friars tallied two goals to even the game at 9-9. Weber brought the Friars within one with 55 seconds remaining in regulation (9-8). Sophomore Greg FitzMaurice (Huntington, N.Y.) tied the game with 25 seconds left to play to send the game into overtime.

FitzMaurice brought home Providence’s first BIG EAST win of the season when he buried a shot with 54 seconds left to play in overtime.

The Friars gave up a season low five turnovers and were successful on 18-of-18 clear attempts. In addition, the Friars out-shot Rutgers, 44-37.

Freshman goalie Jack Connelly (Kenilworth, Ill.) played all 60 minutes in goal for Providence and recorded 14 saves in the victory.

The only other BIG EAST victory recorded by the men’s lacrosse program was a 15-11 win over then ranked No. 13/15 Villanova on April 28,2012 in Providence, R.I.

Providence returns to action on Tuesday, April 2 when the Friars travel to New Haven, Conn. to take on Yale. The game is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.