Mee’s Trio of Goals Boosts Men’s Lax Past Bentley, 9-8

WALTHAM, Mass. – Junior Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) netted three goals en route to Saint Anselm’s 9-8 victory over Bentley University on Wednesday evening as the Hawks took their second straight Northeast-10 matchup.

With the win, the Hawks will bump to 2-3 overall and 2-1 in Northeast-10 play, while the Falcons dip to a 1-3 overall record and 1-2 in league play.

Saint Anselm came back from an early 1-0 deficit with goals from freshman Ben Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) and Mee to take back the lead at 2-1 with 7:09 remaining in the first quarter.

The Falcons knotted the game at two apiece, 31 seconds later, when Nick Astarita scored his second goal of the contest to close scoring in the first.

The Hawks outscored Bentley 4-2 in the second, including three straight goals to begin the quarter. A pair from Mee and one goal from junior Jake Mallinson (Middleton, R.I.) gave Saint Anselm a 5-2 lead with 6:10 to play before halftime.

Jordan Reals and Collin O’Shea each struck for the Falcons, before sophomore Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) found the net at the 12:24 mark, bringing the game to a score of 6-4 at the halfway mark.

Bentley took charge in the third as it scored three unanswered goals to take the lead, 7-6, heading into the final quarter.

Kennedy potted his second of the game 2:24 into play, tying the game at seven, before junior Andrew Messner (Wakefield, R.I.) put Saint Anselm up one with 11:52 to play. Sophomore James Peters (Medway, Mass.) gave the Hawks some insurance with his goal with 6:36 remaining.

Matt Dente started a rally for Bentley, but his goal with just over a minute left wouldn’t be enough to overcome the deficit. Saint Anselm killed an extra-man opportunity and senior goalkeeper Jonathon O’Reilly (Plano, Texas) made one save in the final minutes to carry the Hawks to victory.

O’Reilly made 16 saves, including 10 in the second half, while Bentley goalkeeper Brian Karl stopped seven of 16 shots. Bentley held a 31-22 advantage in shots on goal.

The Hawks will return to action Saturday, March 30 when they hit the road and travel to Le Moyne College for an 11 a.m. matchup.

Saint Anselm Holds Off Bentley in Final Seconds for 9-8 Win

WALTHAM, Mass. – Bentley University had the ball and a man-advantage trailing 9-8 in the final minute, but could not convert as Saint Anselm held on for the victory over the men’s lacrosse team in Northeast-10 action Wednesday night.

Sophomore attack Matt Dente (Reading, Mass./Reading) brought the Falcons to within 9-8 by scoring with 1:02 to play, and a penalty was called on Saint Anselm as well to give them a man-advantage with a chance to tie the game.

Bentley won the face-off and called timeout with 41 seconds left to setup the final play. Junior Nick Astarita (Bedford, N.H./Bishop Guertin) got a shot off with 19 seconds remaining, only for it to be saved by Hawks goalie Jonathan O’Reilly. Saint Anselm then cleared the ball and ran out the clock to hang on for the victory.

The loss drops Bentley’s record to 1-3 overall and 1-2 in the NE-10, while the Hawks improve to 2-3 overall and 2-1 in the NE-10.

The Falcons trailed 6-4 at halftime, but outscored the visitors 3-0 in the third quarter to lead 7-6 heading into the final quarter. All the scoring was done in the first eight minutes of the period, and came from players scoring their first of the season. Sophomore Bobby Hinds (West Hartford, Conn./Conard) scored at the 13:18 mark, sophomore defenseman Connor Raffety (Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) tied the game at six with 8:11 left in the quarter, and junior Steve Taylor (Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) gave his team a 7-6 lead just 51 seconds later.

But Saint Anselm then scored three in a row of its own in the fourth quarter. Geoff Kennedy tied it at seven 1:24 into the quarter and Andrew Messner gave the Hawks an 8-7 lead at the 11:52 mark. They then went up 9-7 on a goal by James Peters with 6:36 to go after a turnover in front of the net.

Astarita led the Falcons with two goals, while Saint Anselm’s Ryan Mee had a game-high three.