Weekend Recap, NorthEast 10

Saint Anselm Women’s Lacrosse Improves To 5-1 With 16-6 Win Against AIC

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Freshman Caitlin Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored a career-high four goals to lead the Saint Anselm College women’s lacrosse team to a 16-6 victory against American International College on Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.

The Hawks win their fifth straight to improve to 5-1 on the season, including a perfect 2-0 in Northeast-10 play, while the Yellow Jackets drop 1-5, 0-3 NE-10.

Villareal was one of seven Hawks with a multiple-point effort, while 21 of their 22 points came from freshmen and sophomores.

After AIC grabbed a 1-0 lead just 5:35 into the contest, sophomore Marissa Daly (Marshfield, Mass.) set up freshman Michelle Kudlate (Waltham, Mass.), who tied the game at the 21:53 mark and set off a run of six straight goals. Sophomore Kaitlyn Stazinski (Pembroke, Mass.) converted a free-position goal to give the Hawks the lead for good at the 20:29 mark before classmate Kelly Pickett (Chelmsford, Mass.) buried an unassisted tally to make it 3-1 just 1:20 later.

Senior Carrie Brophy (Mansfield, Mass.) gave the Hawks a three-goal cushion with a free-position score at 17:42 before Villareal potted a pair to open it up to 6-1 with 12:36 remaining in the opening half.

Sydney DeArmond halted the run with by beating sophomore goalkeeper Allee Ramzi (Cumberland, R.I.) at the 11:52 mark, but sophomore Sarah Doherty (Franklin, Mass.) answered 40 seconds later to make it 7-2. Pickett beat AIC goalkeeper Lissy Doherty on a free-position chance with 4:19 left and Daly, the reigning Northeast-10 Player of the Week, followed with another free-position tally with 1:57 on the clock to send the Hawks into the break with a 9-2 advantage.

Villareal opened the second-half scoring with a goal off a Stazinski feed just 14 seconds in. Whitney McKay welcomed freshman goalkeeper Jane Bunn (St. John’s, Fla.) into the game with a free-position goal at 24:20 before freshman Erin Marshall (Woburn, Mass.) answered with one of her own just 19 seconds later to make it 11-3.

Sarah Doherty set up Kudlate at the 21:18 mark before McKay found the back of the net again to keep it an eight-goal game. Marshall scored on a free position again, however, and Villareal beat Lissy Doherty for the fourth time off an assist from Kudlate to push the Saint Anselm lead to 14-4 with 17:20 left.

DeArmond scored again at 15:28, but Sarah Doherty fed Marshall for a goal 21 seconds later and then set up Daly with 12:42 left to make it 16-5. The Yellow Jackets closed the scoring with a goal from Brittany Flynn 47 seconds later.

Ramzi made two saves in the first half, while Bunn stopped nine shots in the second. Lissy Doherty made 14 saves for the Yellow Jackets, who were outshot 38-26, including 23-8 in the opening half.

Saint Anselm was 6-for-12 on its free-position chances, while American International was just 2-for-10.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, March 27 at 7 p.m. when they travel to take on Assumption College. The next home game for the Hawks is Saturday, April 6 at 6 p.m. when they play host to the University of New Haven at Grappone.


Bastien’s Last Second Goal Gives No. 7 Bentley Women Dramatic 13-12 Win over Molloy

WALTHAM, Mass. – For the second straight game it went down to the wire for the Bentley women’s lacrosse team, and this time senior Taylor Bastien (North Kingstown, R.I./North Kingstown) was the hero, scoring as time expired to give the No. 7 Falcons a 13-12 victory over Molloy in non-conference action Saturday afternoon.

Molloy rallied from 12-8 down in the final 6:10 of the second half, tying the game with eight seconds left on a goal by senior Christie Roell despite being a man-down.

Bastien though won the ensuing draw control, raced down the field and scored from 10 yards out just as the clock hit 0:00 to give Bentley the dramatic win, its third in a row.

Bentley twice led by four goals in the second half, but each time the Lions rallied. Leading 7-4 at halftime after grad student Megan Wiggins (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxborough) netted a buzzer beater of her own to end the first half, Bentley went up 8-4 just 13 seconds into the second half after Wiggins scored again.

But Molloy scored four unanswered goals over the next six minutes to tie the game at eight, with senior Kaitlynn Kelly getting two of them. But after senior Nicole Mastrianni tied it for the Lions at the 23:37 mark, the Falcons went on a 4-0 run of their own to take the 12-8 lead. Freshman Tori Cerny (Olney, Md./Good Counsel), Wiggins, and junior Carolyn Kynoch (Ashland, Mass./Ashland) had the first three goals of the run. A free-position goal by junior Chelsea Larivee (Amherst, N.H./Souhegan) with 10:22 to play capped the run.

Bentley kept Molloy off the scoreboard until a man-up goal by Alexa Toscano at the 6:10 mark, then Mastrianni netted two straight to make it a 12-11 game with 4:38 remaining. Roell’s goal to tie it late came after a Bentley turnover with 37 seconds to go.

Wiggins and Mastrianni each had a game-high four goals, while Bentley goalie Ally Dorman (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury) made 10 saves to earn the win.

Bentley improves to 3-1 on the season, while Molloy falls to 3-5. The Falcons are back in action on Tuesday night when they host Northeast-10 rival Saint Michael’s.


No. 1 Le Moyne Overpowers Bentley 13-3

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Three goals from junior midfielder Matt Klepper led Le Moyne, the No. 1 ranked team in Division II men’s lacrosse, to a 13-3 victory over Bentley University on Saturday afternoon in a Northeast-10 matchup.

Le Moyne, now 7-0 on the season and 4-0 in the NE-10, led 2-0 after the first quarter on goals by junior Andrew Chadderdon and sophomore Joe Corapi. Bentley halved the deficit early in the second quarter on sophomore Matt Dente’s (Reading, Mass./Reading) second goal of the season at the 12:59 mark.

But that would be the Falcons’ last goal until deep into the fourth quarter as Le Moyne steadily built its lead over that time.

However they led just 3-1 inside the 4:00 minute mark of the second quarter, but scored twice before the half ended from Tyler Prevost and Mike Jenkins to lead 5-1 at the break.

Le Moyne then scored three times in the third quarter to take an 8-1 lead into the fourth with the goals coming from Chadderdon, Kam Bumpus and Klepper’s first of the afternoon.

Bentley’s goals in the fourth came from junior Joe Herbert (Milton, Mass./Thayer Academy) and freshman Matt Brigham (Portsmouth, R.I./Portsmouth Abbey), his team leading sixth of the year.

The Falcons, who fall to 1-2 on the year and 1-1 in the Northeast-10, are back in action on Wednesday night when they host Saint Anselm.


Hawks Win Back and Forth Battle with Assumption, 8-7

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Juniors Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) and Andrew Messner (Wakefield, R.I.) each scored three points as the Saint Anselm College men’s lacrosse team earned its first victory of the season over Assumption College, 8-7, at Grappone Stadium.

With the win, the Hawks will improve to 1-4 overall and 1-1 in Northeast-10 play, while the Greyhounds will dip to a 0-5 overall record and 0-3 in league play.

The Hawks jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the opening three minutes of the game with goals from Andy Budz (Williamstown, Mass.) and Jake Mallinson (Middletown, R.I.) Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) fed the pass to Mallinson at 2:48 of the first quarter for the two goal lead.

Kennedy added a goal of his own with 5:21 remaining in the first after receiving a pass from Ben Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) making it a 3-0 game.

Assumption answered back with 1:25 remaining in the first when Seamus Kennedy struck first for the Greyhounds, on a dish from Peter Gersbeck.

The Greyhounds opened scoring in the second quarter with a strike on the extra-man advantage when Garrett Smith connected with Ian Mack. The Hawks came with the answer, however, when Messner scored his first point of the contest to double up Saint Anselm’s lead at 4-2 with 7:24 remaining.

Ty Martina netted the ball past Hawk goalkeeper Jonathon O’Reilly (Plano, Texas) to put the Greyhounds within one, at 4-3, heading into the break.

Mack opened scoring in the third when he found the back of the net 2:13 into the quarter. Messner had the answer for Saint Anselm, however, as he picked up a pass from Mee, to take back the lead at 5-4. Smith scored again for the Greyhounds, knotting the game at five apiece heading into the final 15 minutes of play.

Mee’s tally 2:42 into the final quarter broke the tie for the second time and gave Saint Anselm back the lead at 6-5. Smith scored his third of the game thanks to a pass from Mack, before Warren and James Peters (Medway, Mass.) scored back-to-back for the Hawks to take back the lead for the final time, 8-6.

Assumption’s one-goal rally to end the game came from Smith, while the Greyhounds were playing with the extra man.

O’Reilly made 11 saves, while Will Contento stopped seven of 15 shots. The Hawks held a 33-27 edge in shots on goal. Faceoffs were split as each team won nine apiece.

The Hawks will return to action on Wednesday, March 27 when they hit the road for the first time in the 2013 season and travel to Bentley University for a 7 p.m. tilt.