UMass to play on ESPNU against the Mountain Hawks at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, March 20
About the 2013 season…
• Started 3-0 for the 16th time in program history and third consecutive season.
• Features a new faceoff specialist in Joe Calvello, who has won 83-of-144 this year (57.8 percent).
• Returned Colin Fleming and Will Manny vs. #18 Penn State after four and five game absences, respectively.
• Had a set of six-point days vs. Army from players earning their first points in Matt Whippen and Andrew Sokol.
• Defeated a top-5 nationally ranked opponent in #4 North Carolina for the 13th time in program history.
• Has a first-year goalie in Zach Oliveri, who has a 8.63 GAA and .592 save pct.
• Won its season-opener for the fifth consecutive year, dating back to 2008.
About the 2012 season…
• Finished undefeated in the regular season for the first time since 1969.
• Claimed victory in a program-record 15 contests.
• Notched the best scoring margin among all NCAA Division-I teams at +5.75.
• Tallied the third-best scoring defense in the NCAA, limiting opponents to just 7.19 goals per game.
• Defeated four ranked opponents: #11 Ohio State, #12 Bucknell, #14 Penn State and #19 Towson.
• Had six players named USILA All-Americans, including 2012 Tewaaraton Award finalist Will Manny.
SCOUTING THE LEHIGH MOUNTAIN HAWKS
Coming off of a 10-6 victory over Army to open Patriot League competition, Lehigh returns to non-conference action with a contest against UMass on Wednesday, March 20, with the game broadcast on ESPNU. The Mountain Hawks sport a 5-3 overall record and 2-1 mark in games played at the Ulrich Sports Complex, while the meeting will be the first between the teams in program history. Lehigh enters competition on a two-game winning streak, which includes a 12-10 victory over No. 12 Penn State in the Independence Classic hosted at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
Lehigh is led by a trio of scorers, who have combined to amass 86 of the Mountain Hawks’ 145 points on the season. David DiMaria leads all scorers with 16 goals and 19 assists while Dan Taylor follows at 26 points on 15 tallies and 11 helpers. Dante Fantoni follows closely behind Taylor, accruing 15 goals and 10 assists. Two additional Mountain Hawks have earned double-digit points totals this season, with Patrick Corbett (9-1-10) and Kyle Stiefel (8-2-10) joining the club through eight contests.
Four student-athletes have split time in net with the duo of Matt Poillon and Griffin Farha amassing the majority of the minutes. Poillon leads the squad with five starts in as many appearances, tallying 287:57 in between the pipes. Poillon owns an 8.54 goals against average and .564 save percentage to go with four victories. Farha has a 5.82 GAA and .641 save percentage in 144:24 split over three appearances and two starts. Combined, the quartet sport an 8.38 goals against mark and .559 save percentage, giving up 67 goals while stopping 85 shots.
As a team, the Mountain Hawks are averaging 11.12 goals per game while tallying more shots than the opposition, 39.4-to-29.4. Lehigh also leads in groundballs, 241-228 while committing 119 turnovers to 128 for the opposition. Shooting percentages are set almost evenly between the two sides, with foes combining for a .285 mark while the Mountain Hawks sit at .283 on the season.