The roller coaster that is NESCAC lacrosse started this weekend, as expected all of the games were close, two goals being the largest margin of victory in the Saturday games. Wesleyan beating Hamilton Sunday 12-6 was the only convincing win. As usual there were a few surprises with aforementioned Hamilton taking down a shorthanded Tufts team and Bates handing Amherst their second loss in many days. There was also plenty of other action and plenty of movement in this week’s rankings.
This week’s New England D3 Top 20 is:
- Western New England (1-1) – last week #2. Easy 21-4 game vs. Salve Regina at home on Saturday. Gets more challenging this week, Trinity, RIT and Nazareth on the road.
- Conn College (1-0) – last week #11. Huge jump this week after taking down Bowdoin 13-12 on the road. Camels led by 5, 11-6 after 3 quarters before holding on, Camels were 17 of 29 at the faceoff X. Home game vs. Tufts midweek, Middlebury on the weekend.
- Colby-(1-0) last week #9. Big OT win in opener against Amherst (11-10). Will take on New England College midweek and travel to Hamilton on the weekend.
- Tufts (0-1) – last week #1. Surprising loss at home to Hamilton (10-9). Things won’t get easier with road games at Conn College and a Stevens team that has crushed New England teams this season. A tough team to judge until volleyball suspensions are over. Will that have a long term effect?
- Springfield (1-2)– last week #5. Idle. A trip to Middlebury and home vs. Union this week. They may be ranked a little high, but we should be able to get a good read on The Pride after these two games.
- Middlebury (1-0)– last week #6. Won opener at Bates (10-8). Tough week ahead, home vs. Springfield and at Conn College.
- Bowdoin (0-1)– last week #3. Tough home loss. Billy Berger and Franklin Reiss led the attack. St Lawrence and Amherst this week.
- Trinity (1-0)– last week #7. Squeaked by Skidmore. Play WNE midweek before opening NESCAC schedule at Williams.
- Wesleyan (2-0)– last week #8. Edge Williams in opener (7-6), come back on Sunday on beat Hamilton 12-6 on Sunday. Home against Lasell midweek and travel to Bates this weekend
- Hamilton (1-1)-last week #11. Take out defending NESCAC champ Tufts on Saturday and fell at Wesleyan on Sunday. Colby and Babson upcoming.
- Amherst (0-2)– last week #4. Lost weekend in Maine for the Lord Jeff’s, losing to both Colby and Bates by one goal.
- Babson (3-1)– last week #12. Mixed bag for the Beavers last week, Alex Patinkin scored six vs. ECSU in a 11-8 come from behind win. Ran out of gas at Union on Saturday losing 10-6. Colorado College and Hamilton this week in Baltimore.
- Keene St (2-0)– last week#13. 23-6 blowout win over Salve Regina. Travel to Whittier Monday and also play Swarthmore.
- Bates (1-2)-last week #17. Fell to Middlebury in a close one Saturday, come back Sunday and get a rare win vs. Amherst on Sunday. UNew England and Wesleyan upcoming.
- Williams (0-1) – last week #15. One goal loss at Wesleyan. Home against Trinity next weekend.
- Eastern CT (1-2) – last week #14. Blew 2nd half lead at Babson, Travels to Endicott Monday for makeup game. This one will speak volumes about both teams.
- Endicott (2-1) – last week# 16. Impressive 9-8 midweek win over Skidmore. Sam Ozycz 16/19 on faceoff vs. Skidmore, 76% on season. Travel to RIT and St John Fisher this week.
- UMass Dartmouth (3-0) – last week #18. Two wins last week (12-7 vs. Wheaton) and 11-9 over a pesky Mt Ida team. Continues out of league schedule at MIT and home vs. Nichols this week.
- Roger Williams (2-0) – last week #19. Also, two wins last week (11-0 @ Lasell) and (9-8 vs. Wheaton). Goalie Luke Aubrey with a 74% save rate. Will travel to Nazareth and St John Fisher this week.
- Plymouth St (2-0) – last week NR. First week in rankings, were 8 for 9 on Man ups and handled a pretty decent UNE team 16-5 on the blue turf. Travel to Castleton St. this weekend
3rd Star: Dan Hines, Bates. Scored game winner in OT in win vs. Amherst, also added 2 assists
2nd Star: Sam Ozycz, Endicott. As usual controlled the X for the Gulls going 16/19 vs. Skidmore
1st Star: John Jennings, Colby. The senior scored 5 goals in win vs. Amherst
Odds and ends:
Western New England, Endicott and Roger Williams all head up to Rochester this weekend to play in Coaches vs. Cancer Flower City Cup. They are going to play in a round robin with each team playing two games. WNE will face RIT & Nazareth. Endicott plays RIT & St John Fisher. Roger Williams will play Nazareth and St John Fisher.
One game to keep an eye out for is Monday’s clash at Endicott where the Gulls take on Eastern CT. The Warriors have been a little disappointing so far, after coming in with a lot of preseason buzz they stand at 1-2. Their only win has come against Gordon. Endicott stands at (2-1), The CCC vs. Little East matchups are also very interesting to see where both leagues stack up against each other, although the Little East has an early season edge in my view.
Two other interleague games of note would be Western New England @ Trinity. The Golden Bears looking to show they are tops in New England by taking out a NESCAC foe before trip to Rochester. Also, Babson faces Hamilton next weekend in Baltimore. The Beavers have played and done well against a tough early season schedule, this will be their first NESCAC opponent.
Photo courtesy WNEU Athletics, via Richard Orr