The Minutemen will face the Bison on Saturday, March 9 at Noon
In 2013, UMass men’s lacrosse…
• Started 3-0 for the 16th time in program history and third consecutive season.
• Had a pair of six-point performances against Army from players recording their first collegiate points in Matt Whippen and Andrew Sokol.
• Defeated a top-5 nationally ranked opponent in #4 North Carolina for the 13th time in program history.
• Won its season-opener for the fifth consecutive year, dating back to 2008.
In 2012, UMass men’s lacrosse…
• Finished undefeated in the regular season for the first time since 1969.
• Claimed victory in a single-season program-record 15 contests.
• Notched the best scoring margin among all NCAA Division-I teams at +5.75.
• Tallied the third-best scoring defense in the NCAA, limiting opponents to just 7.19 goals per game.
• Outscored opponents by 92 goals, 207-115 and recorded 175 more points, 344-169.
• Defeated four ranked opponents: #11 Ohio State, #12 Bucknell, #14 Penn State and #19 Towson.
• Won in overtime at Penn State, marking the eighth consecutive victory for UMass when the game goes to OT, dating back to the 2007 season.
• Had six players named USILA All-Americans, including 2012 Tewaaraton Award finalist Will Manny.
The Bucknell Bison own a 3-1 overall record through four games of the 2013 season, including victories over Delaware, 9-8; Bryant, 10-8 and Navy, 11-2. The Bison dropped their only game, 12-11 at Mount Saint Mary’s. Bucknell is led by eighth-year head coach Frank Fedorjaka, who owns a 71-40 mark with the program and a 110-71 record in his 13th season at the helm of a program overall. The Minutemen won the only previous meeting between the programs, doing so by an 11-9 margin on Feb. 18, 2012.
David Dickson leads the squad in assists (13) and points (14) as the main distributor among the Bison while Todd Heritage follows with 10 goals and three helpers for 13 points. Chase Bailey (8 g, 4 a, 12 p) and Sean Doyle (7, 3, 10) have also reached double-figures in scoring through four contests. Kyle Feeney has been given the starting nod in net, accumulating 222:26 of a possible 240 minutes between the pipes. Feeney has registered a 7.28 goals against average and .526 save percentage with 30 stops on the year. Sam Grinberg closes out the remaining 17:34, owning a 10.25 goals against average with three let in. Grinberg has turned aside one shot for a .250 save percentage.
Bucknell is outscoring its opposition, 41-30 through four games while registering more shots, 166-96 and on-target attempts, 97-61. The Bison are also winning the groundball battle, 122-107 and have a positive margin in caused turnovers, 45-26. Foes have won 49-of-83 faceoffs, as three players have split time at the `X’ for Bucknell. Gavin Sullivan is 14-of-32 on faceoff attempts (.438 win percentage) while Ryan Gutowski follows at 12-of-32 (.375) and Eric Monfort has secured eight of his 18 appearances (.444).
LAST TIME VS. THE BISON
Will Manny posted a game-high seven points and Kyle Smith scored three goals as the No. 11 UMass men’s lacrosse team defeated No. 12 Bucknell 11-9 on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 at Garber Field. Manny eclipsed over the 100-point plateau for his career with three goals and four assists. UMass improved to 2-0 on the season, while the Bison fell to 0-2 overall.
Along with Manny and Smith, Mike Fetterly recorded a four-point game with a goal and three assists, while Art Kell scored a goal and added two assists. Defensively, Tom Celentani led the way with four caused turnovers, while Tim McCormack made six saves in the win.
The Minutemen never trailed in the game jumping out to a 2-0 lead on a pair of Smith goals in the initial seven minutes of the first quarter. The Bison rallied back to tie the game 2-2 with 4:41 left, however, neither team was able to score again in the opening stanza.
With a man-up advantage to start the second, Colin Fleming cashed in to put UMass up 3-2 in the first nine seconds of play. Bucknell tied the game just over two minutes later as Chase Bailey scored his second of the day converting on the man-up advantage for the Bison.
A pair of UMass goals from Manny and Grant Whiteway gave the Minutemen some breathing room going into halftime with a 5-3 lead.
Just over two minutes into the third quarter, Smith scored his third of the day to extend the lead to three goals. Back-to-back goals from Steve D’Amario and Fetterly separated by just 52 seconds put UMass up 8-4 with 7:16 left in the third.
The Bison cut the lead back to two goals with tallies from Burke and Dickson coming just 33 seconds apart, making it an 8-6 game with six minutes left in the third.
A good start to the four quarter with a man-up goal and an even-strength mark from Manny put UMass back up by four, 10-6, with just over 12 minutes remaining in the game.
Bucknell scored three of the last four goals in the game to give the final score, including a pair by Billy Eisenreich, who finished with three goals and three assists to lead the Bison.
The Bison outshot UMass 30-to-28 for the game, but committed 17 to just 13 for the Minutemen. Both teams had a pair of man-up goals with UMass going 2-for-3 and Bucknell 2-for-5.